Discussion Board

Post Access to the phone modem AT Commands trough Java Midlet App

Hello,

Here it's what I want to do.

I want to create somehow a serial connection from a Midlet App on the phone with the phone's modem, so that I can write commands directly to the modem. I have no idea what interfaces/methods should I use, but I am sure it is allowed by the phone's platform.

I think it can be done trough CommConnection, or java.io.InputStreamReader. What do you say?

The same way you can connect to the modem of the phone from the PC over Bluetooth and sent AT-commands, the same way it must be possible to do it from the midlet itself.

Have anyone tried this?

Super Contributor

Re: Access to the phone modem AT Commands trough Java Midlet App

Quote Originally Posted by baiatgigel View Post
    The same way you can connect to the modem of the phone from the PC over Bluetooth and sent AT-commands, the same way it must be possible to do it from the midlet itself.
    The assumption may not be correct or at least not universal (at least in the case of Nokia's own cellular modems, as far as I know, the modem/cellular interface/API from the host operating - Series 40 or Symbian - system is not based on AT commands, so the AT-interface might only be available/exposed externally by the host OS, but not to the Java VM at all).

In any case, with Nokia's modems, as it isn't "natively" based on AT commands, the supported AT command set is a subset of what the private modem APIs/cellular stack actually can do (the evidence to that is also the fact that when connecting a Nokia phone as a modem to a PC, the AT command set is limited as far as what the phone really can do).

My point is that if you can send ATCommands from a PC through Bluetooth connection to a mobile terminal, you should also be able to sent them directly from a midlet installed on the terminal and be able to communicate with the modem.

Anyway, how can I have at least a bit of access to the few ATCommands that exist, or how can I get to the HAL Level?

"so the AT-interface might only be available/exposed externally by the host OS, but not to the Java VM at all)." You mean I have no chance in querying the modem with ATCommands from a Midlet?

Super Contributor

My point is that if you can send ATCommands from a PC through Bluetooth connection to a mobile terminal, you should also be able to sent them directly from a midlet installed on the terminal and be able to communicate with the modem.
    And my point is that even if you think that it should be possible, it doesn't mean that it necessarily is possible. ;-) (Because what's possible from Java is restricted by what the Java VM implementation allows, which also first restricted by what the host OS APIs/interfaces allow.)

You cannot – I would be so happy if it would be different.