Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to retrieve a unique ID from WP using default mobile Internet Explorer?

We manage a mobile web site to collect sold Nokia phones' info for a loyalty programme. Symbian phones are helping a lot, thanks to the flash-lite commands, it was easy for us to retrieve the IMEI of the phone via mobile browsers. But as far as I can see, it's not possible in MSIE of WP7.
    Is there any other command from server-side to retrieve a unique ID, that we can get from MSIE in WP7, like WLAN ID, Windows Live ID, Bluetooth ID, Public Id, etc...
    A unique Id is very important for us to distinguish the devices in the market for the loyalty programme.
    I asked that question in Microsoft support pages but my thread had been closed.
    Looking forward for your replies,

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to retrieve a unique ID from WP using default mobile Internet Explorer?

There is no unique device Id available via the browser.
    The only way to get a unique device id is via the SDK which obviously requires running in an app.
    It therefore appears that your service won't be able to work with devices (whether from NOkia or not) running the Windows Phone OS.

Nokia Developer Champion

well sorry but AFAIK, you can not get IMEI number from browser nor a unique id that can help to count sold nokia lumia phones.

But you can get to know whether the device is Windows phone or something else by using "user-agent" in html or .net, etc..

in case, if you want more details,
    http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/mobile_ids.html (search "Windows Phone 7" in browser)
    Last edited by chintandave_er; 2012-05-31 at 11:27.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team
    World's Greatest Speeches for Windows Phone is now available on WP Marketplace.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Not possible and I'm surprised that its possible in other platforms. The IMEI is something that should not be easily accessible by a browser. I think its considered private information.

There is not even a way, as far as I know, to get the IMEI using the windows phone SDK. What you get is the Device Unique ID that I dont think its the nsame as the IMEI.

Take a look here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.92%29.aspx

The only way to accomplish what you are looking for is to create an Windows Phone app that uses the phone API to get the device unique ID that you need and send it to a service. That app would have to be published on the marketplace and you would have to convince the users to install it and register the phone.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by joaocardoso View Post
    Not possible and I'm surprised that its possible in other platforms.
    I think Its not possible via browser in most of other platform also like in Android.

There is not even a way, as far as I know, to get the IMEI using the windows phone SDK. What you get is the Device Unique ID that I dont think its the nsame as the IMEI.
    right. you can find alternative way here. (sort of)
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums...27/548755.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by chintandave_er View Post
    right. you can find alternative way here. (sort of)
    http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums...27/548755.aspx
    I dont think thats the IMEI you get. Its the ANID that is linked to your live id not to the phone unique id. o if you have 2 phones with the same Live ID you would get the same value when trying to retrieve the ANID property.

Nokia Developer Champion

Well I said the same but you misunderstood. You can also see that in given link by me.

You can't see my word there "right" below your word.

Thank you for your messages, I was right, there is no way to access any kind of unique Id of WP.
    Well, we found a solution to S40 devices, it seems like we'll use the same for WP. What we will do is;
    - we will leave cookie showing the date-time value in micro-second format,
    - then we will check that cookie in every refresh of the page. If there is one cookie, than we can be sure that the phone logged in before.
    That could be the only solution...

Quote Originally Posted by tsgulen View Post
    Thank you for your messages, I was right, there is no way to access any kind of unique Id of WP.
    Well, we found a solution to S40 devices, it seems like we'll use the same for WP. What we will do is;
    - we will leave cookie showing the date-time value in micro-second format,
    - then we will check that cookie in every refresh of the page. If there is one cookie, than we can be sure that the phone logged in before.
    That could be the only solution...
    And if the user clears the browser cache?

Quote Originally Posted by chintandave_er View Post
    Well I said the same but you misunderstood. You can also see that in given link by me.

You can't see my word there "right" below your word.
    yeap sorry about that

Nokia Developer Champion

yeap sorry about that
    No problem.

Cheers.

And if the user clears the browser cache?
    Unfortunately, under these circumstances there is no any other solution... :/
    Or do you have any hint?

Quote Originally Posted by tsgulen View Post
    Unfortunately, under these circumstances there is no any other solution... :/
    Or do you have any hint?
    Have you dismissed the possibility of building an app completely?

These are the brand new phones and will be given to the customers, so there shouldn't be any remains of unofficial app. We should solve it via browser... :/

Regular Contributor

Hi,

you can use the application unique id for your requirement, application unique id/ ProductID is available in Manifest (WMAppManifest.xml) file, it's allows you to access ProductID/unique id at run time in your current application here is an article for the same.

How to access Application Manifest (WMAppManifest.xml) file in runtime

http://windows-mobile-dev.blogspot.i...-manifest.html

Hope it helps.
    Pavan Pareta
    Sr. Software Engineer
    http://windows-mobile-dev.blogspot.com