Discussion Board

Any way to make Qt Mobility 1.1.x work with Qt 4.6.3?

I basically want to develop for Symbian S60 3rd edition and I need 2 things I don't have in Qt Mobility 1.0.3:
    - camera
    - geoservices plugins (there is no qgeoserviceproviderfactory and a bunch of other classes if I want to make my own map plugin)

Also, If I force installation of Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3 on S60 3rd edition devices (meaning ignore "application not compatible" messages), my application works without any major problems, but that is not a decent way to distribute the application, I cannot just ask users to install themselves manually Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3 and ignore warnings.

This pretty much sucks and I will refrain myself from any trolling comments about competence and strategy of Nokia, but would it have been that hard just to make Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3 compatible with S60 3rd edition, especially when they THEY ARE FREAKING WORKING ON 3RD EDITION PHONES (also for Qt Webkit 4.7.3).

But, is it possible at least to use Qt Mobility 1.1.x when compiling with Qt 4.6.3 profile or is there any way I could have my own map plugin and camera on 3rd edition? Actually for camera I could use native Symbian API, but how about geoservices plugin?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Any way to make Qt Mobility 1.1.x work with Qt 4.6.3?

No you can not ,mix them in your own way, the supported versions are nicely summarized in: http://qt-project.org/wiki/Support_for_Symbian

Yes, I was aware what are the supported versions. I repeat that Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3 are working well on 3rd edition phones I tested (C5, E72, N95, 6210n, 6220c etc.) and it seems to me either stupid or lazy for Nokia not to support 3rd edition and not to leave a decent Qt Mobility which has camera functionality for it, especially when there are enough 3rd edition phones on the market.

Are there a wild solution of getting what I need, such as compiling QCamera as a plugin (and qgeoserviceproviderfactory or other classes I might need) and use them in my project?

Nokia Developer Moderator

The support issue have been though well, there has been good amount of testing which have indicated that there are problems on utilizing this version on the platform mentioned, and thus it is not marked as supported. Of course it probably works just fine on some use cases, but I'm certain the team which made the decision, did do proper testing to verify the issues.

Basically with 3rd edition devices, you would get full support of APIs offered by utilizing Symbian C++ APIs.