Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Regular Contributor

UID cockup question

Hi,

As we've known for a while, the *Unique* IDs (UID) ended up being not-so-unique after a monumental cockup @Nokia. While Symbian Signed (a serious organisation) was managing this - for over 10 years there was not a single problem. Anyway, I digress, I was one of the publishers quietly contacted about this a while back.

It turns out, I'll have to change UIDs on most of my apps, with all the nonsensical 'workarounds' that this entails. And yep, end users will loose all their data stored in the data cage!!! This is a big deal for my app as this is where the user generated content ends up by default. I have gone through substantial effort to maintain compatibility and support for previous file format versions only to find that the workaround destroys all user generated content.

I just couldn't bring myself to do any further Symbian releases since. After all the cockups with store, billing, payments, reporting, DRM and piracy, this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

However, as time moves, the apps are progressing on other platforms, and unfortunately this has meant that many people using Symbian were left out from updates. Incidentally, these same people were some of the early adopters and supporters. So, for their sake, I've decided to give Symbian one last hurrah.

My questions are:

1. Where is the final guide for dealing with the situation? I've got new UIDs, but we were promised some tooling that would allow reasonably seemless upgrade. Specifically, support people said that:

Custom Uninstaller (Qt, Symbian and Flash only)
    The Nokia Publish support team is working on a custom uninstaller. This uninstaller will be packaged with your corrected app. The uninstaller will remove the invalid app from a consumer’s device and then install the corrected version. This is currently being developed and we expect to deploy in a few weeks. The custom uninstaller will not preserve any user data and, therefore, user data will not be transferred during the installation of the corrected version.
    2. Is there still no way to migrate user data from the data cage?

3. Were you affected? Did you migrate to new UIDs? Experiences?

Thx

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: UID cockup question

Hi Ivan,

1. Where is the final guide for dealing with the situation? I've got new UIDs, but we were promised some tooling that would allow reasonably seemless upgrade.
    Regrettably, the solution has taken a lot longer than we expected. Last month, we deployed a custom uninstaller solution for theme content. For applications, we have prototyped a solution that will be deployed through the Smart Installer. The Smart Installer prototype is currently being tested to ensure that there are no further side effects. Rest assured we will have a solution for you and will update all publishers once it is available.

I also want to mention that App Update notifications in the Store client will not function for your application once the App UID has changed. The App Update notifications will function after subsequent updates however. As a result, the effectiveness of the uninstaller solution will be limited and most consumers will not be able to discover the update on their own. In the event that your application no longer functions due to a UID conflict, the consumer will need to contact either your support email address or our Care Center for further instructions to uninstall the old version and download the new version.

2. Is there still no way to migrate user data from the data cage?
    Unfortunately, not much progress has been made on migrating user data as the focus has been on the uninstallation of the impacted applications.

Best regards,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlitovski View Post
    3. Were you affected? Did you migrate to new UIDs? Experiences?
    Hi Ivan,

Sorry for the slow response, didn't notice this thread earlier. My apps were affected by the ununique UIDs problem as well. After getting the info of what the problem actually was and new UIDs, I simply changed the UIDs for all the affected apps (two unreleased, two already available in Store) and names of all files inside the packages that had been in the Store already, and uploaded new SIS files with same version numbers as before.

I haven't yet had time to release any further updates for the apps. Was in fact thinking about doing that this summer - having to manually uninstall the old versions wouldn't be too bad, but the following quote is a bit discouraging:

Quote Originally Posted by OviKevin
    I also want to mention that App Update notifications in the Store client will not function for your application once the App UID has changed. The App Update notifications will function after subsequent updates however. As a result, the effectiveness of the uninstaller solution will be limited and most consumers will not be able to discover the update on their own
    This can't be right, it's a really bad user experience that the early adopters won't get notified of application updates. How are they supposed to find out about them? At least I don't regularly (actually ever) visit the support pages of any of the applications I have bought, and expect that updates, if any, will be shown in the Nokia Store app.

Is it really impossible to make some kind of server-side hack for the affected apps? It's hard to guess how the update checks are internally done, but Nokia Store app seems to show available updates also for apps that haven't been downloaded/bought by the current user (tested by changing to different Nokia account - it still shows the same updates). This means that probably the client sends at least UID and hopefully also version number of all installed applications to the server. With this info, it should be possible for the server to check whether:

1) The user has bought/downloaded the application AND
    2) The device has the app with old UID and with correct version number installed AND
    3) The device doesn't have app with the new UID installed

In this case, update info would be sent to the client and the update notification would be displayed. It might create some false positives, if the old UID is used by another application with one of the version numbers previously used for the affected app, but still I feel that from user's point of view it would be better than no notifications at all.
    Last edited by TongMuan; 2012-07-14 at 17:13.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I've published with a new UID. Since users are not seeing the update in the Nokia Store client, what would be the right way for them to get the update?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ivanlitovski View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I've published with a new UID. Since users are not seeing the update in the Nokia Store client, what would be the right way for them to get the update?
    If you do not have an app-specific notification mechanism built in to the app they already have, then the only way for them is to somehow discover the new version (that it exists) and then decide to download and install it; Nokia Store won't notify them, I think, if the UID has changed (which means it is technically a different app, and not an update, I imagine).