Discussion Board

S^3 Camera Advanced settings

I am trying to specify the jpeg quality on a N8 camera using the S^3 1.0 SDK.

My original code was ported from S60 3.2 and I used the camerawrapper library and I copied this into the SDK along with the S60 3.2 advanced settings API. This all compiled but the jpeg quality was not following what I requested on an N8-00 phone.

I realised today there is probably a binary incompatibility with the S60 3.2 libraries and I discovered the s^3 1.0 SDK actually provides the advanced settings API as standard

Code:
    #include  <ecamadvsettings.h>
    ( in contrast to s60 3.2 <ecamadvancedsettings.h> ) and
    HTML Code:
    LIBRARY  tsu_ecm_adv.lib
    ( in contrast to s60 3.2 LIBRARY ecamadvsettings.lib).

However when I compile it fails with

HTML Code:
    Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian3_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\release\armv5\LIB\tsu_ecm_adv.dso: No such file: No such file or directory
    Firstly the documentation specifies .lib (which I can't locate) and secondly the compile is looking for .dso

Can anyone help please?
    David4x

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: S^3 Camera Advanced settings

You can not copy API headers & libraries between platform. Also any API originally not included in the SDK can have compatibility issues.

Basically, I suppose you are not having the library specified in the SDK, so you can not use anything requiring it.

Basically if you can not find APIs from public SDK, you could always try our paid technical support, and open a case in there. Then you would get our internal expert looking into the use case, and would look for any possible API. And if an API which is not in public SDK is found for the use case, the internal expert will instruct you for the API partnering process.

Note that each API in API partnering process is given only for specific use case & platform, it does not come with any compatibility promise and there is always a risk that there are no suitable APIs for the use case or the platform selected.

Thanks for the quick reply symbianyucca and I agree with you so I have opened a paid technical case.

I woudl have thought that if the publically open SDK documentation showed how to use certain functions and told you specifically what to link, then the standard SDK would have provided those libraries?

Nokia Developer Moderator

things that have wrapper in their name generally are not included in the public SDK, having something distributed in wiki etc., does not make the APIs being part of Public SDK. And also you should read the documentation made for the platform version you are using, otherwise it might have changed and would not work anymore.

Yes I accept that the wrapper is a third party addition but I was referring to the official SDK documentation...

http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...F52BB16D4.html

CCamera Class Reference

#include <ecam.h>

Link against: tsu_ecm_adv.lib
    Last edited by david4x; 2012-06-01 at 09:39. Reason: wrong reference...
    David4x

Quote Originally Posted by david4x View Post
    I am trying to specify the jpeg quality on a N8 camera using the S^3 1.0 SDK.

My original code was ported from S60 3.2 and I used the camerawrapper library and I copied this into the SDK along with the S60 3.2 advanced settings API. This all compiled but the jpeg quality was not following what I requested on an N8-00 phone.

I realised today there is probably a binary incompatibility with the S60 3.2 libraries and I discovered the s^3 1.0 SDK actually provides the advanced settings API as standard
    Hi,

As far as I know, there are no camera API binary compatibility issues between binaries linked against S60 3.2 camera libraries and any S^3, Anna or Belle device. I have a camera app in Nokia Store, with a single binary that works and supports autofocus (where available) and a lot of other settings on any device from S60 3.0 to Belle. I've been planning to write an article about the techniques used for the PureView Imaging Competition - if I'll get it done, I'll post a link in this thread.

Also, there's definitely no binary compatibility issue with the jpeg quality setting, that's part of CCamera itself, and has been there with the same ordinal since S60 3.0. At which point do you call CCamera.SetJpegQuality? It should work at least if you call it after PrepareImageCaptureL.

I'd also recommend ditching CameraWrapper (for reasons, just search these discussions with the keyword CameraWrapper and see all the issues) and using the CCamera API directly, especially as you're building for S^3 and obviously not targeting older devices. If you haven't used CCamera before, you could use CameraWrapper's CCameraEngine source code as a starting point:
    http://projects.developer.nokia.com/...ineprivate.cpp
    Last edited by TongMuan; 2012-06-03 at 14:38.

Thanks TongMuan, that's all great information and most appreciated.

I have been reluctant to update my devices from Anna to Belle in case of binary compatibilities.

I would be very interested in your pureview article as I am keenly awaiting that device to check out the camera. I would expect a new SDK or at least API is required to access the new functionality ? eg select between oversampling or raw pixels, etc.

You are quite right about the jpeg quality setting. I was mistaken that it was in advanced settings as it was in fact in ecam.h and part of CCamera. I was calling it from the camerawrapper via the provided pointer but I eventually discovered this was the problem. Here is the code (out of context)...

Code:
    CCameraEngine* iCameraWrapper;
    CCamera* iCamera;
    iCamera = iCameraWrapper->Camera();
    iCamera->SetJpegQuality(MyDevice().iImageQuality);
    However, when I did this, it did work;

Code:
    IMPORT_C CCamera* Camera();
    iCameraWrapper->Camera()->SetJpegQuality(MyDevice().iImageQuality)
    Yes I will consider absorbing the cammerawrappercode - it was just a good starting point. Thanks for the link.
    David4x