Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Direct Screen Access issue On S60 3rd FP1

Trying to draw some image on device screen while the video playing is underway.The drawing is working fine on S60 3rd FP2 device(6220c, on which i tried), but no graphics/images are visible on S60 3rd FP1 device, though surprisingly its visible on FP1 emulator.

EDIT : The text/image is rendered in the background of video playing but it never get drawn in front of player. So yes the DSA is working but only in the background of video play
    Any suggestions/comments?
    Last edited by vineet.jain; 2012-06-12 at 10:57.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Direct Screen Access issue On S60 3rd FP1

The Vrex example available for playing video has also a class which renders the image/text directly on screen. The example too has the same issue, working fine on S60 3rd FP1 emulator but not on device.

Nokia Developer Champion

Seems that it happened with someone else as well:

#11 in :

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...top-of-a-video

Nokia Developer Champion

Opened a technical support case, lets see what they have to say regarding this.

Nokia Developer Expert

Drawing text may hurt the performance in terms of framerate. The widely used solution is to use a bitmap font.
    Meanwhile pre-render the texts could masked as video buffering time, the example implementation out of the box may not fit into all use cases.

A research into the world of assembler and compilers may allow to speed things up, for example ARM RCVT is outperforming GCC by up to a factor 2 - when price is not a concern. Desktop and embedded arhitectures has differencies in performance related to the mathematical operation efficiency.

By default, GCC uses it's own ABI. Some time ago Code Sourcery have created a version (freely available) that conforms to ARM's EABI. Their changes are very likely to be included in the GNU version of GCC, but it is unclear in which release.

For Series 60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1 (Symbian OS v9.2) the RVCT 2.2 is in use. Depends on the release week that would mean build 435 or build 503 for 2005 and build 593 from late 2006 onwards. You could give it a try.

/0
    Last edited by Devnull; 2012-06-19 at 06:26.

Nokia Developer Champion

Seems that same issue persists on Symbian^3 as well. Nothing drawn on video screen is visible. The DSA misgration guide given here: http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...938DE1C16.html, has nothing new to say i think, i am utilizing the same piece of code for every version symbian, starting S60 3rd FP1.

Nokia Developer Expert

"vineet.jain has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space. "

Otherwise, bug is reported:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=996

Opening a technical support case would make sense, since more expert available with knowledge of recent platforms than of the knowledge of S60 3rd edition arhitecture. Even more if the problem exist on Belle and Belle FP1 it would be very nice to make people aware of it.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks DevNull. Made the inbox quite empty now..

Well yes the problem exists on Anna,Belle & Belle FP1 as well. Tested the application on 808, with same conclusion, drawing is done behind the video screen, thereby invisible.

I also noticed another scenario in the application while playing video. Before the video playing gets started, i display a text on video screen container saying "loading video", this text appears for just 2-3 secs & then a white screen appears, hiding the text behind. I think the text just appears till the time video loading initialization has not started , but this is fine of S60 5th edition & lower one's. The issue is with S^3 & above devices.

I am not sure if more experts are available for newer versions as well, as the OS remains Symbian only, plus that is the reply i got when i opened a technical support case(that there are no Symbian experts available anymore who have expertise on this area)

Just thinking, if OpenGLES can do any wonders?

You can use RWsSprite draw a picture on top of the video.

Nokia Developer Champion

Ok juiska, will try that(saw the code example as well which you posted in the bug opened).

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by juiska View Post
    You can use RWsSprite draw a picture on top of the video.
    Worked well on S^3, Anna, Belle devices. Though not yet checked on an FP1 device but surely its going to work on it as well.

Thanks to Juiska for this valuable suggestion, & a big thanks to DevNull for taking up this issue with high priority & importance. I'll be updating the Wiki article as well about the alternate to draw something over video screen.

Nokia Developer Champion

Failed to render bitmap on FP1 device(tried on N82) using RWsSprites. Don't know what is the reason but that should have worked considering that its the same root cause as that was in S^3 devices.

I am simply calling the function which creates sprite as soon as video starts , but the sprite gets hidden behind the video.

On E63(another FP1) : bitmap just flickers & then goes away
    Last edited by vineet.jain; 2012-08-17 at 10:17.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Based on your findings I would assume that the success of this RWsSprite magic is related to the new screen architecture introduced with Symbian^3. http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...B8153727B.html

Nokia Developer Champion

yes i also think so, but that's a bit irony, since RWsSprite API is included starting S60 3rd FP1.Had it been the case that its only for S^3 SDK then it was fine , but now seems that this works well only for S^3 & above as in case S60 5th edition devices also, though the sprites are visible but after sometime(if i try to hide/unhide the sprite, which is done by deleting & creating sprite, the phone gets restart while this is working very fine on S^3)

Nokia Developer Moderator

I think it is much older than that, probably exists from the very beginning. Google can deliver discussions like http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...p-What-s-error or http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...n-symbian-v7.x predating S60 3rd FP1. The latter says he is using RWsSession for Symbian OS 7.x