Discussion Board

Making a game with WRT

Hello all of you, I'm developing a game but I can't find documentation about WRT. I would like to develop it on Qt but I don't have to much time to learn much about it.

So, my last chance, is develop my idea on WRT, this is a game that obviously uses basic sprite concepts, as you see, I'm a rookie in WRT and I can notice that Nokia is not giving support to WRT. I heard that Nokia have a little version of Flash for solve this animation's problem, I don't know what kind of tecnology is or how it works.

I need to recognize on code when the phone has been rotated, and access to the vibrator of the phone, and I heard about "platform services" but I don't know nothing about this topic.

Technically I need good tutorials of WRT on IDE Nokia Web Tools 1.2.0, tutorials for the little version of Flash supported on WRT and tutorials of the mentioned "platform services", or another alternative for integrate the solutions to this problems. Thanks very much for answering.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Making a game with WRT

I would suggest you to google a bit, and do check out our Wiki. Also you could check the WRT section of this discussion board for older discussions.

Making a search, I found that WRT has been migrated to Symbian Web Runtime, You're right, there's a lot of documentation about it, I just get confused about the name. Thanks a lot.

Super Contributor

Hi there,

Indeed there is a lot for you to explore on this area, and should you want more assistance on your game development, please do not hesitate to post your questions. I am interested to hear what kind of a game concept you are closely after, and if there is anything I can do to help you with it. Also, check out the discussions related to the technology area and communicate with maybe directly with some other developers, if they are also working on a gaming concept or seem to have experience on the subject you are after. That's always a good conversation opener =)

Keep up the good work!

Old but still valid on what can be done, just an example:
    http://tubeencore.com/watch/?v=mfa8GK1OPHM

Best Regards,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Regular Contributor

I would strongly suggest for not making games with WRT.

I suggest you either take a look at the Flash lite support, or if you intend this to not be your last game, take a look at the some ready cross platform game engines.
    For example: http://projects.developer.nokia.com/cocos2dxqt

Thanks a lot for your support, I'm creating a game that need to be finished in a couple of weeks, so I found that the only technology easy to understand is WRT, nowadays I'm focusing on the Flash support "Flash Lite", I'm interested on contact you by email for listen suggestions, you'll receive few emails, mine is jhon_jairo_16_@hotmail.com, please don't mark as spam. Thanks a lot.

Respect to don't making games on WRT, for now is my last resource, considering the few time that I have to develop it and my knowledges on HTML CSS and Javascript. So again, I'm looking for now more information about the Flash Lite support, thanks for suggesting me cocos2D-x but, I'm not familiarized with C/C++ but I would like to know it because I heard really good maturity references about Qt. Thanks a lot for answering all of you.

Nokia Developer Expert

So, my last chance, is develop my idea on WRT, this is a game that obviously uses basic sprite concepts, as you see, I'm a rookie in WRT and I can notice that Nokia is not giving support to WRT
    Have you considered Java? A few suggestions follow for informative purposes.

for solve this animation's problem
    Depending on what kind of animation you are talking about, Sprites might be a solution. Sprites are supported as well by Nokia's Java ME SDKs as part of JSR-118 (MIDP2.0) which is the core specifications for Java ME development. All you need is to
    1. determine the platform of your target device by looking at the device specifications
    2. Download a Series 40 or S60 SDK for the platform in question
    3. Integrate your SDK to your IDE by checking the Getting Started Guide.

Documentation for all the APIs supported by Nokia's SDKs can be found here.

The Sprite Class is part of the LCDUI Game Package.

More info on UIs and Game development here.

I need to recognize on code when the phone has been rotated, and access to the vibrator of the phone
    In order to recognize when the phone has been rotated you can use either the Orientation API or access the accelerometer via the Sensor API as shown by this example.

In order to access the device vibration you would need to use the DeviceControl. Please note that access to the device's accelerometer and vibration with Java ME is device dependent.
    Last edited by skalogir; 2012-07-09 at 10:03.

Thanks for your support in Java ME, but I got a 80% of the application finished in WRT and Flash Lite 4, the only problems that I have right now is how to activate the phone vibration, a little bit of usability, and, for the designer rol, the synchronization of sound effects with the animation, but this is not the point.

The documentation that I have been looking about Adobe Flash is a little bit confusing, because I don't know what kind version of actionscript I'm using. Actually, I deduced that i'm using a kind of actionscript version 3 but, the support of Adobe for actionscript 3 have the same idea comparing with code that i'm using, but is not the same, I mean this code example that I recently found:

According with http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ActionSc...3446FBEEB.html the piece of code for full screen is:

stage.displayState = StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;
    But in accident I discovered that "StageDisplayState.FULL_SCREEN;" in my version is replaced by:

stage.displayState = FullScreenEvent.FULL_SCREEN
    I would like if somebody could tell me what kind of version of actionscript is that.

I almost forgot this: by the way, the help section of the Adobe Flash Professional CS6 version that I have installed doesn't work, i can not open it when I press the famous F1 button or when I refer it by menu (Help -> Flash help).

Thanks in advance.

well that looks good