Discussion Board

Nokia E72 - Correct Development tools set for JavaME

I am trying my first mobile application development targeting Nokia E72. My target is very ambitious and simple to develop SMS tracking application and use it on my personal mobile- So not yet have any idea to publish/sign the application in Nokia-Store etc.

I have done some research and found E72 is supporting "Symbian SDKs -S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2". So I downloaded and installed SDK Version 1.1. My preference is to develop with Java than C++ but not sure what is the IDE that support develop/debug/deploy to E72.

In the meantime, I have downloaded and installed Carbide C++ Version 2.7 as IDE. But that seems to be a steep learning curve for me with C++. Before that I played with QT, but not got my application working eventhough I got it deployed to E72.

Pleases give some direction specifically considering my requirement.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia E72 - Correct Development tools set for JavaME

Hi amalnokia and welcome to Nokia's Discussion Boards,

My target is very ambitious and simple to develop SMS tracking application
    With Nokia's Java offering it is possible to listen for an incoming SMS on a specific port, but the SMS that arrives at that port, when your application is listening, will not arrive at the SMS Inbox. Currently it is not possible for a Java MIDlet to read a message that is already stored in the Messaging Inbox.

Keep in mind that the Wireless Messaging API can be used for cross application communication over SMS and not for eavesdropping purposes.

The Nokia SDK 1.1 is targeting Series 40 devices with Java Runtime 1.1.0. Typically one needs the S60 3rd Edition FP2 Symbian SDK if your target device is E72.
    Last edited by skalogir; 2012-06-15 at 11:05.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think that I am in the right direction in terms of the tools and IDE ?
    Is that possible to track incoming and outgoing calls/sms logs with C++ development ?

Nokia Developer Champion

With C++ on Symbian it is possible to do much more than with Java. You can intercept messages, etc. However, all APIs might not be that well documented, so besides the SDK and its examples, learn to search the wiki articles and discussion boards here for specific examples/solutions.

In any case, you might wish to start with a simpler problem first, or this might be your first and last (incomplete) programming attempt.