Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Search Really Messed Up

Is it just me or are the search results really, really messed up right now. Not only are the results now completely irrelevant, but it seems that specific developers are being heavily favored. One search I performed showed only one relevant app, yet one developer was lucky enough to have their apps listed for over half the search results - none that were relevant nor contained keywords.

This seemed to have happened over the past few days. Anyone else notice this?

Cheers!

Josh

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Search Really Messed Up

Hi Josh

To reproduce the issue could you please let me know search keyword that resulted with the problem you have seen ?

Call Recorder is one of them, only one unique app on the entire page of results that's relevant. You can also search for our app "Total Recall", results are equally irrelevant.

Josh

I just realized the issue. In the default "free & paid" list FREE apps seem to be given a new, additional weighting. So in the "call recorder" search, you get 5 pages of free apps until you finally get into paid apps. If you switch to "paid" only (which of course no user will ever do), you end up getting decent results. But in the "free and paid" list you end up getting three games, a few messaging apps, Nimbuzz & skype - NONE that actually have anything to do with call recording!

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

i have created bug report on that problem saying ,
    Searching on desktop web Store for exact application tittle results with set in incorrect order where the sought item is located close to the end of the result set --- so it looks like search for app title does not work at all
    Thank you for the problem reporting

Thanks for looking into this. It's not just Title Search, it's Keyword search as well. Not sure why games that have nothing to do with "Call Recorder" would show up near the top for call recorder.

Also, seems some changes were made - only they made things even worse!

Regards,

Josh

Nokia Developer Expert

I have checked the original error case and it looks like the problem is fixed.

Thank you for your finding

Regards,
    Igor
    Last edited by izinin; 2012-06-20 at 12:27.

Seems the results are better, but still show many irrelevant results. The search for "call recorder" still shows two games (one is a Bowling game!), as well as other non-call recorders. Also, at the top of the listings is the same exact app twice. Not sure how they were able to get the exact same app name to appear as two entirely different listings, perhaps they have a friend there at Nokia, certainly seems to be the case as they are clearly getting preferred ranking even with all of the changes you have been making.

Thanks

Josh

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

Duplicates in the search result in this particular case is OK since application ids are different : http://store.ovi.com/content/242071 and http://store.ovi.com/content/234272 --- i have not noticed that before ---

If you think your app is published twice , please address to Ovi Store support directly.

Regards,
    Igor
    Last edited by izinin; 2012-06-21 at 09:42.

So you mean I can just list my same exact app 50 times cluttering up the app store? Because that's what these guys are doing.

Not to mention, games and other irrelevant apps (ie, a Bowling game!) still show up for "Call Recorder" so the search feature is still all but worthless. But what happened in the first place? And why does it seem that Nokia really couldn't care less about the Ovi/Nokia store these days?

Thanks

Josh

Ok, it seems the search is now finally back to it's old self! Search results appear to be pretty relevant now. Thanks!

Josh

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Josh

About the Call recorder app duplicate on Store. There is no Store problem : one app is Pro and one is not. The both are free. Maybe one was paid before and the publisher wants to be able to upgrade both.

I think Store will do nothing about that particular case.