Discussion Board

How can I store an audio file in the application folder

I want to play some particular sound when the notification arrives. So I planned to store the sound file in the application folder(not in isolated storage). But I am not sure, where to store this file instead of isolated storage memory. I want to know how to play this file from the application.
    sreerajvr

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How can I store an audio file in the application folder

This, http://www.michaelsnow.com/2010/12/1...ndows-phone-7/, was the first hit when searching for wp7 sound effect with Google. Of course this simple approach applies only if you want to use a single piece of sound which can not be changed.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How can I store an audio file in the application folder

Quote Originally Posted by sreerajvr View Post
    I want to play some particular sound when the notification arrives. So I planned to store the sound file in the application folder(not in isolated storage). But I am not sure, where to store this file instead of isolated storage memory. I want to know how to play this file from the application.
    You cant place a sound outside isolated storage and isolated storage is isolated. Meaning its not possible to have a system event to use your sound on the isolated storage.

When you can do is to create a custom ringtone and place it on the phone using this task:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...k%28v=vs.92%29

But then you cant set that ringtone to be played when a notification (toast, tile or raw) arrives. The sound that will be played can be configured only by the user on settings -> ringtones+sounds as far as I know.

If you want to play a specific sound while your app is open, that is possible, but as you know your app may be tombstoned in background and in that state it cant play any sounds.

Can you give us a bit more details on what you are trying to accomplish?