Discussion Board

About and Help in web apps

Hi,

How do you deal with About and Help in web apps? Where do you put them? Is there a particular format? (We come from Java ME where we had to have a very specific About and it was required).

We have an app where we have a title and a list of options (buttons) and we go from one page to the other using a Home button (that represents the Back). Should we add another button to be About and another one to be Help.

Thanks

Christelle

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: About and Help in web apps

Hi Christelle,

To my knowledge, no such a requirement exists for Web Apps, or at least I haven't seen About and Help in web apps so far.
    Of course it doesn't mean that having one would be a bad thing, in contrast that would probably be better UX.

Maybe you could place a button, with question mark icon, where home button usually is, in the main screen? Then show combined help / about page when it is clicked?

Br,
    Ilkka

Hi Christelle,

We added about and help divs that display when the user clicks the corresponding menu button to all of our published web apps. Nothing very fancy, although our help was eventually a multi-paged affair with a previous/next button setup.

The included information in the about page could be what your Java ME apps displayed.

Regards,
    Stephen

Hi Stephen
    What do you mean by menu button? Is it in Options or in a button on the screen?
    Thanks
    Christelle

Sounds a cool solution.
    Thanks
    Christelle

Quote Originally Posted by scharffc View Post
    Hi Stephen
    What do you mean by menu button? Is it in Options or in a button on the screen?
    Thanks
    Christelle
    In my app's case, the first screen has a neat stack of divs, each one a clickable menu item that would swap over to a different div. However, more often than not you would not use an initial welcome view with menus. In these cases you would have to figure out a good way for the user to access a menu or go directly to a help screen. This could be with a button (clickable div/img) in a page's title bar for example.

Unfortunately, the Nokia Browser's menus are not configurable by the web app. It would certainly be interesting if they were.