Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Place map with custom provider

I would like to customize the following example:

http://api.maps.nokia.com/en/playgro...s/map/map.html

I want to provide my own icons / ui for categories and use my own places for the backend. Can I create a custom places provider? Also I like how when you select the list on the left the infobubble pops up. It would be nice if the opposite happened when you select a poi the item in the list on the left was selected. How would you enable routing in this example?

Thanks,
    Mike

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Place map with custom provider

Hi Mike

Place API allows to customize information as place name, address, contact details, location map, rating, reviews, as well as related premium content.

The later allows a custom icons Check the premium template. It defines page elements that display premium content information including provider's name, icon and description.

As for nokia.places.objects.Category ---- it is read only

I hope i have answered your question.

Regards,
    Igor

I would like to provide my own data via my backend system not the Nokia places. And then leverage the templates for UI display. This would be similar to the last fm example http://api.maps.nokia.com/en/mobile/examples.html
    Can I use a custom search adapter for the js web api?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

According to nokia maps html5 guide you can use your own back-end providing search functionality. You need to implement your own searchAdapter to enable your own back-end search service. It should provide search function with the same interface the default adapter does. Your back-end must return data structure compatible with the API -- data mapping details please in the docs referenced by link above.

Please check nokia.mh5.components.Search API details

When it comes to implementation -- i think that could be approach: you create searchAdapter type of nokia.mh5.adapters.Search that means you have to implement the following methods :
    1. fetch(object, parameters, callback, errback) retrieves the place data from the server as JSON.
    2. recommendations(object, parameters, callback, errback) retrieves recommendations for a place or an address
    3. search(query, parameters, callback, errback) executes search request to the Nokia server. Use this function to get search results for a specific query depending on the location the query was triggered on. The function is asynchronous.

you will request your back-end with AJAX and provide data via methods mentioned above to client component. Perhaps you will face cross-domain request problem by using AJAX -- but that is addressed with well-known solutions -- please google for that. I estimate search adapter implementation as advanced level.

Regards,
    Igor

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Mike,

before I can help you I need to clarify something. What are you going to use? Is it mh5 framework or Maps API? What is your target platform? Is it mobile or desktop? In the first case you should use MH5 and here I can help you. If the desktop is you target then you're wrong here and should change
    either to http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...for-Javascript
    or http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...for-Javascript

Br,
    Leo