Discussion Board

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

Quote Originally Posted by internetlabor View Post
    I just attended the Nokia Netbeans Webinar, and used the Gui-Builder to create an UI. For a long time, the high-level UI Components (LCDUI) were falling behind the rest of the phone-UI.
    Now I see you can start using them again. That is good because you can easily develop productivity-style apps with them.
    Thank You for realizing the value that this brings to developers

Quote Originally Posted by internetlabor View Post
    There is one thing that bites you soon when you develop with LCDUI: handling of text when text length is longer than one line....
    Great point. I cannot agree more with you that this hampers usability of the app. Let us see what we can do here to modify the implementation. As observed by you, this can be fixed but we'll have to set realistic expectations knowing other parallel tasks but this is a great feedback which we would consider seriously for improvements.

Thank You for highlighting this and let us know if you find any more

Regards,
    nKv
    Last edited by hamishwillee; 2012-07-12 at 02:16. Reason: fix minor typo

Super Contributor

By the way, are any of you planning on contributing a wiki article for the competition?

Super Contributor

Installation crashes with error message : "Error during installation process (com.nokia.sdk.emulator)
    Execution failed(unexpected exit code:4097: )" - Attaching screen shot. SDK-err.PNG

System Spec : Intel i5, 4GB RAM, Windows 7, 250GB free HD space

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Installation crashes with error message : "Error during installation process (com.nokia.sdk.emulator)
    Execution failed(unexpected exit code:4097: )...."
    Hello Gopal,

We regret this experience and apologize for the same. We're investigating this actively. We've neither encountered this error ourselves nor have any of other developers. We shall revert at the earliest possible. Thank You for alerting us.

Regards,
    nKv

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Shai,

First things first. These are really good feedback. Find our response below

1. The emulator heap size does not match the real phones. while the emulator limit the heap size to values between 500k-2Mb the new Asha full touch phones come with 4Mb heap. (this limitation can be found in the preferences menu)
    Nokia: We acknowledge this. The reason why you see us doing this is because we support only the least configuration that the platform supports on the SDK. For example, SDK 2.0 devices like the Nokia Asha 305 and 306 comes with a 2 MB heap while Nokia Asha 311 comes with a 4 MB heap. We would not want to possibly misguide a developer by ensuring a luxury of 4 MB during development when there are devices that have a much lesser heap which uses the same java runtime platform.

2. cannot invoke System.GC via the emulator menu options, while this is a feature available even on the old WTK.
    Nokia: We could consider offering this. Please be informed that we have taken this into consideration. Thank You for sharing this

3. Capture still images....
    Nokia: While we think that this would be good to have, we would be interested to know if there has been problems with development or experience due to this. Please let us know.

4. the System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.photos") does not point to the phone real photos gallery....
    Nokia: Can you try setting the preferences of the path to the 1 that you would want and let us know if that helps?

5. This might also happen on the real phone platform as well but there is somewhat low number of audio players that can be prefetch....
    Nokia: We acknowledge this and this is an issue with the memory support on the platform but we've seen that this prefetch is mostly sufficient to develop most apps. Let us know if you're facing some issues here.

Let us know of any other issues/concerns that you might have

Regards,
    nKv

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nirmal K Veetil View Post
    Hello Gopal,

We regret this experience and apologize for the same. We're investigating this actively. We've neither encountered this error ourselves nor have any of other developers. We shall revert at the earliest possible. Thank You for alerting us.

Regards,
    nKv
    Update : Ignoring the error message installed the SDK. If you need to debug the issue, drop me and line and I can help you.

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Expert

Update : Ignoring the error message installed the SDK....l
    We're glad to know that your SDK installation was successful. We've been unable to reproduce this issue. Can you share your findings after setting up the redistributable package from this page?

Thank You for sharing the update. Please try the SDK and share your experience.

Cheers,
    nKv

Super Contributor

Launch the IDE and select > File > New Midlet Project > enter project name > and select "Device SDK Manager" > Selct Nokia Asha 311 > click install> Installation takes a long time (more than 30 min!)

Nokia Developer Expert

Launch the IDE and select > File > New Midlet Project > enter project name > and select "Device SDK Manager" > Selct Nokia Asha 311 > click install> Installation takes a long time (more than 30 min!)
    Hi Gopal,

This as you might have observed is an online installation of the entire SDK and hence the delay. Notice that the latency would also be based on the n/w bandwidth. Our average performance tests have usually been around the 17 minute mark.

Cheers,
    nirmal

Super Contributor

Hi Gopal,

This as you might have observed is an online installation of the entire SDK and hence the delay. Notice that the latency would also be based on the n/w bandwidth. Our average performance tests have usually been around the 17 minute mark.

Cheers,
    nirmal
    If that is the case - Really need some tweeks here : After 30 min of waiting its showed a message "Selected SDK is already installed" - It would have been ideal if the check is done before downloading - if the SDK is installed - Could have saved some n/w band width.

Also, why download as I have an offline installer ?

Regards
    Gopal

I must admit, this is a good observation However, this (not displaying the shortcut for the Nokia IDE) was done on purpose irrespective of whether few or all components were installed. We could however consider letting the user decide the shortcut(s) that he would like to see.
    Thank you for your response. I do not understand what the purpose for not creating a shortcut to the IDE was, but letting the user choose whether he wants it or not sounds a good idea to me.

Here is one more bug I found:

IDE - no Javadoc predefined for Nokia SDK 2.0
    As I'm not an expert with Eclipse, I'm not sure how to explain this, so I'll give you an example.
    Consider the following code:
    Code:
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.Display;

[..]

display = Display.getDisplay(this)
    Let's say you hover getDisplay(this)
    My expectation: Tooltip displays the Javadoc for the method getDisplay(MIDlet).
    Actual result: Tooltip says: "Note: This element neither has attached source nor attached Javadoc and hence no Javadoc could be found."
    Example image: (excuses for the poorly drawn cursors) http://s7.directupload.net/images/120713/mhstn8o5.png

Regards,
    ~ UnPlan2ned
    Last edited by UnPlan2ned; 2012-07-13 at 21:13.

nokia SDK with IDE is nice one thing if nokia made to develop to develop the app faster plz make XML UI builder with the IDE and want to include custom component designer and want to add to the builder its makes developer feel free to develop faster with there unique UI Tanks for nokia to make full touch on asha

new nokia SDK With IDE have lot of feature some of them i like much is
    * Choose the Device on the Development
    * Eclipse IDE and give Netbean Plugin
    * First time Emulator with Sensor Controller
    * Route Editor
    * Inapp Purchase Simulation
    * Landscape and Portrait mode
    Thanks foe Nokia SDK Team
    Last edited by lightwind; 2012-07-18 at 17:11.

Hello, lightwind

Quote Originally Posted by lightwind View Post
    new nokia SDK With IDE have lost of feature some of them i like much is
    * Choose the Device on the Development
    This was not removed. Open the Application Descriptor, press SDK manager and choose your device. If you cannot find your device in the appearing dialogue, go to "Window->Preferences->Java ME->Device Management" (and manually install it).

* Eclipse IDE and give Netbean Plugin
    I don't know anything about the netbean plugin, but Nokia IDE is actually Eclipse, so ..???

* First time Emulator with Sensor Controller
    You can find this under "Tools->Sensor simulation"

* Route Editor
    Still there. Go to "Tools->Route Editor"

* Inapp Purchase Simulation
    Still there. Go to "Tools->In-app purchase simulation"

* Landscape and Portrait mode
    Still there. "Tools->Switch to Landscape" / "Tools-> Switch to Portrait"

This leaves only the question about the Netbeans plugin. Maybe someone else knows what has happened to it.
    Last edited by UnPlan2ned; 2012-07-17 at 18:07. Reason: added alternative solution

Thumbs up Re: Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

[[Asha Touch Competition 2012Q3]]

The Difficulty I faced in this new SDK is..

if I closed the project .. i was unable to open the project it again ..
    As there is no Option of OPEN PROJECT under File Tab ..
    There is only Option of OPEN FILE which I cant understand ...