Discussion Board

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

i type mistaken "lot" as "lost" sorry for the happen

Quote Originally Posted by UnPlan2ned View Post
    IDE - no Javadoc predefined for Nokia SDK 2.0
    As I'm not an expert with Eclipse, I'm not sure how to explain this, so I'll give you an example.
    Consider the following code:
    Code:
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.Display;
    [..]
    display = Display.getDisplay(this)
    Let's say you hover getDisplay(this)
    My expectation: Tooltip displays the Javadoc for the method getDisplay(MIDlet).
    Actual result: Tooltip says: "Note: This element neither has attached source nor attached Javadoc and hence no Javadoc could be found."
    Example image: (excuses for the poorly drawn cursors) http://s7.directupload.net/images/120713/mhstn8o5.png

Regards,
    ~ UnPlan2ned
    I did some research and found out the following: The Javadocs are supposed to be attached to the container "JavaME library [Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java]", which prevents from being able to attach the Javadoc to individual jars. However, I could not find a way to attach a Javadoc to a container.
    It would be really awesome if this was added in the next update. For the time being, is there any way I can add it on my own?

~UnPlan2ned

Edit: Ps: Sometimes after editing and saving the app descriptor I get a NullPointerException. I am sorry but I cannot provide a way to reproduce this, as it randomly happens (usually after launching my app in the Emulator). Here is the error log anyway: http://pastebin.com/6aPt4nPM
    Last edited by UnPlan2ned; 2012-07-22 at 14:15. Reason: added sth

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    By the way, are any of you planning on contributing a wiki article for the competition?
    Hi hamishwillee,
    I have already a wiki article as my contribution for this competition.

Here's my link:
    Playing Whacking game with Accelerometer Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Noel.Anonas View Post
    Hi hamishwillee,
    I have already a wiki article as my contribution for this competition.

Here's my link:
    Playing Whacking game with Accelerometer Sensor
    Awesome. I've added the link to the competition page. I'll be checking it out in the next day or so.

Thank you!

Hi
    the following are some of my feedbacks on nokia SDK 2.0 Java

1. scrolling in landscape mode is not responsive. Tried it on LWUIT Demo. There is wide difference in scrolling response for landscape and portrait mode. False buttons triggers when trying to scroll in landscape mode.
    If we can scroll using mouse wheel on the system it will be good
    2. sometimes on switching to portrait from landscape, the lower portion of screen becomes 'whited out'
    3. After closing the SDK in landscape mode, next time on start in protrait mode, the camera UI is still in landscape mode. Changing the modes back and forth fixes the UI

in addition to the above my personal opinion is that having the SDK and IDE for linux can attract more developers. I have to switch to windows for developing applications, while for other works i use linux. This shouldn't be difficult as eclipse is already working in linux, and atleast remote device access can be provided for linux developers. This is already available for Qt developers

with regards
    najath

Regular Contributor

Now that the SDK 2.0 is so great, I used the new sdk manager in eclipse to download and install also SDK 1.0.
    As the SDK 2.0 already comes with the NCF, I tried not to install it again with SDK 1.0. But it was not possible to uncheck it in the custom install dialog of the installer. So I used the normal Installation.

Than I came across the following dialog:

ncf-install.png

Nokia Connection Framework (NCF) is already installed. Please uninstall NCF and press OK to proceed with installation.
    - OK -

The problem with this dialog: there is no way to cancel the installation now. The cancel windows control does not work. You can not leave the dialog and return the installtion package chooser, or even quit the install al together.

The only chance to proceed is to uninstall the NCF. But as there is a newer NCF installed, I would normally not want to do this.

That all is strictly speaking an issue of SDK 1.0, not 2.0.

Nevertheless:
    1) it would be good the check that this dialog in the installer can now be canceled, so we don't get this problem again when SDK 3.0 with a new NCF is released.

2) What I really would like is to have the 2.0 SDK let me also develop for devices of the older SDKs. Sony Ericsson has done it with their SDKs. You just installed the newest version and you were able to choose the platform you want to use. (To be fair, the SE emulator is not so near to the device)

3) Some more information about the NCF should be included in the documentation of the SDK. Because sometimes we need to troubleshoot it. Information like when it is started (at windows startup? if yes, can this be disabled?), does it use any ports (that may be blocked by a firewall), does it write any logs, which version is compatible with which SDK, etc. Also what is the difference between NCF and NCF-Lite, and if I have both installed, can/should I delete one of them?

Regards

Karsten Meier

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by UnPlan2ned View Post
    I did some research and found out the following: The Javadocs are supposed to be attached to the container "JavaME library [Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java]", which prevents from being able to attach the Javadoc to individual jars. However, I could not find a way to attach a Javadoc to a container.
    It would be really awesome if this was added in the next update. For the time being, is there any way I can add it on my own?

~UnPlan2ned

Edit: Ps: Sometimes after editing and saving the app descriptor I get a NullPointerException. I am sorry but I cannot provide a way to reproduce this, as it randomly happens (usually after launching my app in the Emulator). Here is the error log anyway: http://pastebin.com/6aPt4nPM
    Hello there,

Good point and this is on our radar for the next release. So let us have our fingers crossed and hope that you get what you want while we deliver what you like

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Karsten,

Good to hear from you. We respect these points and will try to work on them.

Regarding your 2nd point - " What I really would like is to have the 2.0 SDK let me also develop for devices of the older SDKs...." - We would really want to support this and we hope to have this resolved in some way with the next version of our SDK. We're spending a lot of time on the documentation as well to ensure it helps you in the best possible way. We shall take this as an input.

Many Thanks,
    nirmal

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    If that is the case - Really need some tweeks here : After 30 min of waiting its showed a message "Selected SDK is already installed" - It would have been ideal if the check is done before downloading - if the SDK is installed - Could have saved some n/w band width.

Also, why download as I have an offline installer ?
    Hi Gopal,

Nice to hear from you again.

We shall look at this and confirm. The offline installer only installs the 2.0 SDK. Should you wish to develop for other devices that run on an earlier version, you will have to be install the respective SDK from the Device SDK Manager.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by najath_a_a View Post
    Hi
    the following are some of my feedbacks on nokia SDK 2.0 Java

1. scrolling in landscape mode is not responsive. Tried it on LWUIT Demo. There is wide difference in scrolling response for landscape and portrait mode. False buttons triggers when trying to scroll in landscape mode.
    If we can scroll using mouse wheel on the system it will be good
    2. sometimes on switching to portrait from landscape, the lower portion of screen becomes 'whited out'
    3. After closing the SDK in landscape mode, next time on start in protrait mode, the camera UI is still in landscape mode. Changing the modes back and forth fixes the UI

in addition to the above my personal opinion is that having the SDK and IDE for linux can attract more developers. I have to switch to windows for developing applications, while for other works i use linux. This shouldn't be difficult as eclipse is already working in linux, and atleast remote device access can be provided for linux developers. This is already available for Qt developers

with regards
    najath
    Hi Najath,

Thank You for your feedback. These are good observations. We will work on this and try to address them. Please try using the upcoming versions of our SDK and feed us back with more suggestions.

The Best,
    nirmal

Quote Originally Posted by najath_a_a View Post
    Have you seen this: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._apps_on_Linux

Its not an SDK, but it is a method you can use --- also a competition entry :-)

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi All,

If you use Linux as your primary OS, you might want to try this link and check if it helps you?

Cheers,
    nirmal

Hi Hamish
    Few days back i had tried adding the Nokia IDE to my linux Eclipse installation as described here
    I had few issues in choosing correct eclipse versions, finally i was able to get the IDE installed on eclipse version 'indigo'.
    But i was not able to create a midlet project. The project creation dialog asked for configurations, which i was not able to add through 'Device SDK manager' button. When i tried to install Nokia SDK 2.0 for java , it gave 'cannot be installed in this envirionment' error.

I almost gave up on getting the nokia IDE working on linux. That is when i saw the post you mentioned. It renewed my interest, but I was busy with my research work so couldn't try it out.

Yesterday I tried it. The SDK is properly installed and we can run apps in it through 'wine'. But even in this method no configurations were detected in eclipse 'new midlet project' dialog. Installation of SDKs through eclipse also failed in this method. Not sure whether it is due to my proxy settings.

My suggestion is that installed configuration need not be a requirement for creating a project. Only if we want to debug, the dialog to choose a configuration should pop up. This way build projects can be run through 'remote device access', for those using linux.

with regards
    najath

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Have you seen this: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._apps_on_Linux

Its not an SDK, but it is a method you can use --- also a competition entry :-)

Hi najath

Thanks for your feedback. Perhaps post a comment against the article too, suggesting they highlight the issue?

Regards
    H

Hate stuff like this:

WARNING: Unrecognized argument 4: -Xdomain:trusted

Emulator: Could not delete C:\Users\jkoorts\AppData\Local\Temp\ueiemulator820426856233229756\Bozza.jad
    Emulator: Could not delete C:\Users\jkoorts\AppData\Local\Temp\ueiemulator820426856233229756\Bozza.jar
    Emulator: Could not delete C:\Users\jkoorts\AppData\Local\Temp\ueiemulator820426856233229756