Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) has been released, which allows you to target your Java apps at Series 40 full touch phones and take advantage of the Nokia IDE for Java.

Because we need your help to create the very best tools possible, we would appreciate it if you could provide feedback on the new SDK and working with the new platform as responses to this thread.

The most useful feedback we get here (for example a a suggestion for improvement or a defect report) will be awarded a Nokia Asha 311 as part of (and at the end of) the Asha Touch Competition 2012Q3.

We're looking forward to your suggestions and other feedback. Please see the competition page for more information.

Re: Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

That's great. I'm compiling my comments now to the new SDK to give feedback here.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel.Anonas View Post
    That's great. I'm compiling my comments now to the new SDK to give feedback here.
    Great - the earlier the better so we have a chance to get them into the final candidate!

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    Great - the earlier the better so we have a chance to get them into the final candidate!
    Okay I'll try if this is a valid feedback

Feedback - Using PC keyboard to the SDK 2.0 Emulator

When entering a text to the TextField Component or TextBox component using the SDK 1.1, though I could use the keypad in the emulator,
    I could use my keyboard from my laptop.
    Sample app using SDK 1.1 Emulator

But for SDK 2.0, I could no longer use my keyboard from my laptop when entering text to the text field but instead I forced to use the virtual keyboard in the SDK 2.0 emulator.
    Sample app using SDK 2.0 Emulator

I preferred to use the laptop keyboard when typing because it is much faster to type and edit a text rather than pressing the character one by one using the virtual keyboard from the SDK 2.0 emulator. I hope the PC keyboard will still be used for entering the text to the Text component using emulator in the future release for full touch SDK.

----------------------------------
    Last edited by Noel.Anonas; 2012-07-02 at 07:16.

By the way, are any of you planning on contributing a wiki article for the competition?

Super Contributor

Installation crashes with error message : "Error during installation process (com.nokia.sdk.emulator)
    Execution failed(unexpected exit code:4097: )" - Attaching screen shot. SDK-err.PNG

System Spec : Intel i5, 4GB RAM, Windows 7, 250GB free HD space

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Installation crashes with error message : "Error during installation process (com.nokia.sdk.emulator)
    Execution failed(unexpected exit code:4097: )...."
    Hello Gopal,

We regret this experience and apologize for the same. We're investigating this actively. We've neither encountered this error ourselves nor have any of other developers. We shall revert at the earliest possible. Thank You for alerting us.

Regards,
    nKv

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nirmal K Veetil View Post
    Hello Gopal,

We regret this experience and apologize for the same. We're investigating this actively. We've neither encountered this error ourselves nor have any of other developers. We shall revert at the earliest possible. Thank You for alerting us.

Regards,
    nKv
    Update : Ignoring the error message installed the SDK. If you need to debug the issue, drop me and line and I can help you.

Regards
    Gopal

Quote Originally Posted by hamishwillee View Post
    By the way, are any of you planning on contributing a wiki article for the competition?
    Hi hamishwillee,
    I have already a wiki article as my contribution for this competition.

Here's my link:
    Playing Whacking game with Accelerometer Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by Noel.Anonas View Post
    Hi hamishwillee,
    I have already a wiki article as my contribution for this competition.

Here's my link:
    Playing Whacking game with Accelerometer Sensor
    Awesome. I've added the link to the competition page. I'll be checking it out in the next day or so.

Thank you!

Hi
    the following are some of my feedbacks on nokia SDK 2.0 Java

1. scrolling in landscape mode is not responsive. Tried it on LWUIT Demo. There is wide difference in scrolling response for landscape and portrait mode. False buttons triggers when trying to scroll in landscape mode.
    If we can scroll using mouse wheel on the system it will be good
    2. sometimes on switching to portrait from landscape, the lower portion of screen becomes 'whited out'
    3. After closing the SDK in landscape mode, next time on start in protrait mode, the camera UI is still in landscape mode. Changing the modes back and forth fixes the UI

in addition to the above my personal opinion is that having the SDK and IDE for linux can attract more developers. I have to switch to windows for developing applications, while for other works i use linux. This shouldn't be difficult as eclipse is already working in linux, and atleast remote device access can be provided for linux developers. This is already available for Qt developers

with regards
    najath

Hi Noel

Feedback from the SDK team is:
    Thanks for your valuable feedback – much appreciated. We’re trying to introduce input from PC keyboard but this is proving to be difficult and we’re not sure whether we’ll achieve it for the candidate SDK. Even though we were aware of this problem, your feedback will of course be "counted" for the competition. Keep the ideas coming - next time you may well find something we don't know about!
    Regards
    H

Regular Contributor

I think the biggest improvement should be better help for us developers when something goes wrong.

1) If some developers can not run the emulator, all the excelent work is useless for them.
    From the release notes I see that the newest java sdk ist not compatible with emulator.
    I also experience problems with RMI-Port. Now you can have several java versions installed.
    Please add information how to control which java virtual machine is used.

(Work arround for me is to use WindowsXP Mode in Windows 7 Professional. But it don't like that I need to do this.)

2) When an app with something invalid is loaded, for example with a bad jar/jad file descriptors, you only get a message "invalid app. delete?"
    That is OK for the end user phone, because the end user can not do anything about it,
    but it is not enough for a developer tool. We developers don't want to waste our time with guessing.
    It should at least write it to some log file what was the problem, which entry triggered the error.
    I see you can trace a lot thing. I tried "verifer", but it does not help, the error happens before it logs anything.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by internetlabor View Post
    I think the biggest improvement should be better help for us developers when something goes wrong....
    Hello internetlabor,

Thank You for your feedback. They help us understand what developers are looking for and where they need improvements. Find our response to your questions below

1. We agree that this was a huge limitation. However, we've cracked the issue and JDK 7 will be compatible with the Nokia SDK in the candidate buils. Please detail the RMI-Port issues that you seem to be facing.

2. Diagnostics is one area where we're trying to improve a lot and this concern that you've highlighted is something that we want to address. However, we already have a mechanism to view traces. Have you tried enabling traces for information that would matter to you from Tools -> Preferences -> MIDP monitor? Try enabling this and you should be able to view traces on the 'Diagnostics' window. Let us know if that worked.

It feels great to know that your feedback and our target product are heading in the same direction. This is great feedback and would be interested to see more of them coming.

Regards,
    nKv

Regular Contributor

Hallo nKv,

good that something is happen again with the java tools.

So let's dig a little deeper.

About Emulator-Diagnostics and Trace:

Yes, I know the about Emulator settings in Tools -> Preferences -> MIDP monitor. (But I think many don't know about it)
    It looks like this:

midp-monitor-nokia-sdk2.png

So what are these checkboxes?
    Some of them are obvious, others not. For example, what might "frames" or "monitors" mean in this context?

Some of the options generate only output when my app is running. But some of the options generate lot of output all the time, even when the emuator is on the home screen and nothing is happen. For example the "monitors". These options are probably useful for the developers of the emulator itself, but not for app developers.

Checking the "exception" checkbox is useful during normal testing of the app. When something goes wrong, you get some feedback even without the debugger. Also network tracing is sometimes useful. Something like tracing methods-calls is not so useful, because luckily we also have debuggers.

But what seem to be missing is something that give outputs in the time before the app is started, when the jar-manifest is parsed. (It tried the "verfiy" checkbox, but it only generates output after an app has successfully started.)

Regards

Karsten Meier

Quote Originally Posted by Nirmal K Veetil View Post

2. Diagnostics is one area where we're trying to improve a lot and this concern that you've highlighted is something that we want to address. However, we already have a mechanism to view traces. Have you tried enabling traces for information that would matter to you from Tools -> Preferences -> MIDP monitor? Try enabling this and you should be able to view traces on the 'Diagnostics' window. Let us know if that worked.