Discussion Board

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

Sometimes when trying to debug, all looks good, but the app im trying to debug does not start. I even got a friendly message that all is good and ready. But nothing.

UEIInvocationParameters: About to call FileUtils.createFakeJadAndJar(classname=mobi.bozza.Bozzaclasspath=null)
    Emulator command: C:\Nokia\Devices\Nokia_SDK_2_0_Java\bin\Nokia_SDK_2_0_Java_em.exe -Xdomain:trusted
    Creating New "Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java" Instance ...
    Thread RUNS
    Loading SdkConfig.dll
    Loaded
    Loading sdk.dll
    Loaded
    WARNING: Unrecognized argument 1: -Xdomain:trusted
    Smart card communication error 0x80100017
    The specified reader is not currently available for use

"Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java" Instance #2000 Ready for Future Connections

Sometimes when trying to debug, the IDE halfway stops the debugging startup process you've seen in my many posts. Here is what I got:

UEIInvocationParameters: About to call FileUtils.createFakeJadAndJar(classname=mobi.bozza.Bozzaclasspath=null)
    Emulator command: C:\Nokia\Devices\Nokia_SDK_2_0_Java\bin\Nokia_SDK_2_0_Java_em.exe -Xdomain:trusted
    Connecting to Running "Nokia SDK 2.0 for Java" Instance #2000 ...
    connected to port 53689
    creating pipe
    replacing stdout or stderr handle
    WARNING: Unrecognized argument 1: -Xdomain:trusted

When is an update due?
    Last edited by jkoorts; 2012-08-18 at 13:39.

Debugging does not work. Period.

andu77

Do you launch emulator by yourself or just hit 'launch emulated in debug' ?
    Probably launching separately would fix your last 5 posts. Did you tried to increase lunch timeout from 'Preferences' as well ?

andu77

"Could not delete" - I think you have a zombie/hanged process. Do you have other processes in Debug tab beside what you currently debug ? Probably terminating useless processes(from Debug tab) would fix this or restart emulator.

I hit the debug button. launching separately sounds like a workaround and not how things should work. J2ME development is nearly a decade old and I have to use workarounds for this SDK?

Quote Originally Posted by jkoorts View Post
    I hit the debug button. launching separately sounds like a workaround and not how things should work. J2ME development is nearly a decade old and I have to use workarounds for this SDK?
    Yes, it's still Beta.

This is my feedback regarding the new SDK:

1. Option to remove/reset RMS

Rather than to programmatically reset/remove RMS Record store, I think having it as an option to the emulator would be great especially those apps which main function or feature is data handling, and in this case, RMS. Having RMS explorer too would aid in the development process.

2. Emulator must be cleaner and more intuitive
    Just like the WebApp emulator wherein the operations/tools are placed in a rectanglular box rather than a form where the emulator is embedded is a great idea. This is to reduce the unnecessary space occupied by the whitespace around the emulator device having the emulator as it should be. In a ddition to that, the operations/tools boox must be embedded to the emulator device and is detachable. Maybe the idea of Windows Phone Emulator would do.

3. Taskbar icons of emulator and IDE should be different

I don't think this would be an issue but having the same taskbar icon is quite confusing sometimes especially when you have to minimize/maximize the emulator and the IDE. Their icons shouldn't be the same as they are two different tools. Besides, I have not known any IDE whose emulator's taskbar icon is the same as its. However, it is not critical though.
    more functional nokia s40 debugging perspective rather than just the default debugging

4. Debugging perspective of Nokia DevEnv
    Yes, there is already a debugging perspective in Eclipse. However, it would be better if there's a Nokia Debug perspective where it encapsulates the Eclipse's debugging perspective conforming it to the s40 platform. Moreover, the current debugging perspective is not that effective and developer's friendly when it comes to this platform.

5. Multi-touch
    It would be better if the emulator's multi-touch gestures can be sourced out from laptop's touch pad or touch enabled PC/tablet

6. Receive keyboard input
    I think in the SDK 1.1, I can type from my keyboard in replacement of the on-screen keyboard. Having this feature would really hasten the testing stage of apps.

7. Apps should stay installed on the Emulator
    Apps ran on the emulator can stay on the emulator and the developer has the option to uninstall it and not uninstall it immediately after closing the app. This might prevent any unwanted resetting/removal of apps' preferences or stored settings.

8. Multitasking
    When it comes to this one, I think I have read that the J2ME does not support multitasking. However, it is quite a standard in today's mobile era though the multitasking capabilities of most platforms are not "real" multitasking - just freezing/pausing the apps on the background; apps' features, together with the phones', can be utilized more effectively and efficiently - not to mention the 1 Ghz processor of flagship Asha phones. Is there any workaround to add to the APIs or something?

9. Time Synchronization
    It's good to see that the emulator's time is now synchronized to the machine's time unlike the previous SDK version.

10. More fluid and responsive UI
    It seemed like the UI is much more better as compared to the previous SDK version when it comes to performance.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello Reavitz,

Thank You for your feedback. These are good observations and we're working on most of them as we talk. Please continue using the SDK, try our next update to the SDK and let us know what you think.

Best,
    nirmal

When is the next update?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello jkoorts,

Thank You for your feedback. We have tried reproducing your observations but unfortunately haven't succeeded. We'll however investigate this further as this is the first time we've been reported with errors like these. Please stand by for information.

The next update is right around the corner. Please visit us frequently to know when that happens.

Regards,
    Nirmal

andu77

Did anyone tried this new set of tools ?

Hi Everyone

The Asha Touch Competition 2012Q3 is now complete and the winner of the feedback competition announced. You can of course still post your feedback on the SDK here, or in this forum.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to create feedback. We've been enormously pleased with your responses - many of the reported bugs have been fixed in the current product, and some of the other bugs and enhancements are planned to go into the next release. So this has made a real difference for all developers using our Java products.

Regards
    Hamish

With the Nokia Idea for Java ME v1 you have the following urls "to check for new updates" added to the "Install" window when clicking "Install new software"

They are:

NokiaIDEForJavaME - http://nds2.fds-forum.nokia.com/noki...kiaide/updates
    http://nds2.fds-forum.nokia.com/noki...ory/nokiasdks/

None of them work.

Going from bad to worse..