Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Nokia Web Tools 2.0 (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

The Nokia Web Tools 2.0 (beta) have been released. These deliver new templates to use for building your web apps, Series 40 web apps specific CSS and HTML validation, simulator UI alignment with phone UIs and new code examples for sharing on social networks and file upload etc.

Because we need your help to create the very best tools possible, we would appreciate it if you could provide feedback on the new SDK and working with the new platform as responses to this thread.

The most useful feedback we get here (for example a a suggestion for improvement or a defect report) will be awarded a Nokia Asha 311 as part of (and at the end of) the Asha Touch Competition 2012Q3.

We're looking forward to your suggestions and other feedback. Please see the competition page for more information.

Re: Nokia Web Tools 2.0 (beta) released - a prize for your feedback sir?

1.I feel this release is not for full touch devices like Asha because it's simulator can't demonstrate the rotation between portrait and landscape screen,which is not convenience for testing Widget's response when the action happens.

2.The simulator provide UI to alter feathers of device,such as resolution,language etc.But these feathers will be back to default when simulator restarts and developers may set it again.Even this case is only one time a day,which is also a low efficient development.

3.The menu of the Widget is still in English after changed the language setting of the simulator.
    Last edited by r60600; 2012-07-09 at 07:25.

Super Contributor

Thanks very much for your feedback - I've forwarded to the team responsible!

Hi r60600,

Thanks for your feedback on 2.0 SDK. Below is the clarification to your questions.

1. In 2.0 release, screen rotation (from portrait to landscape) support is not available.
    For webapps, the screen is always locked to portrait mode. This is the reason why you don't see rotation support available in the simulator.

2. The simulator resolution and language settings are per app. If you happen to change the setting (say resolution from TT to FT), that setting will persist for that app. So next time, you test another app, you will see the simulator screen resolution revert to that setting.

3. Agree this is a limitation with the simulator. The app options menus is part of the webapps platform itself and the options menu is not localized in the simulator.
    The language setting is mainly to run the app itself that's localized.

Your feedback will help to improve the SDK.

Hi rk_s40,
    Thank you for so soon!

Here's my feedback, for now:

1. There seems to be an error in the documentation. In the page about adding ads in the app (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...rtising-2.html) they instruct you to add the wrong javascript file from inneractive. I tried with it and my ads were not recognized until I changed for the address in their page, which is different (https://inneractive.jira.com/wiki/di...SDK+guidelines). Maybe it's just a coincidence, but even if it is, it's good to be consistent.

2. In the Ubuntu SDK, the Debugger doesn't appear after it's closed. Steps to reproduce: 1. Run web app; 2. Open Debugger. 3. Close Debugger 4. Run Web app again. 5. Open the debugger. It will not appear.

3. The mobile web library (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...y/#!index.html) has a downloadable version that includes a eclipse-based viewer, but when you open the zip there's only a eclipse.exe file. It's easy to install the docs on another eclipse instance, but I think that it should support Linux out of the box.

4. The mobile web library does not come included with the SDK. This is more of a suggestion, but I downloaded 200mb, I think this should include some docs (and it's only 20mb more). I will try to post an article in the Wiki on how to install the downloadable package in the Nokia WDE so this gets fixed until the next release.

5. Is this thread only for feedback on the tools or we can post problems with code too? I found some differences between the emulator and the devices and wanted to know if they should be reported here.
    Last edited by igordsm; 2012-07-15 at 14:45.
    http://igordsm.googlepages.com

Hi Igordsm,

Thanks for your feedback. Below are my comments.

1. Agree, the documentation needs to be consistent at both places. We will check with Inneractive if this has been recently changed in which case we will update the documentation.

2. We will look into this bug.

3. The downloadable version contains all the library contents. Please download from http://www.developer.nokia.com/info/...s_Library.html

4. This is a good suggestion, we will consider this for our next release.

5. This thread is mainly for feedback on the 2.0 release. You could post anything related to webapps 2.0 SDK release (platform APIs, tools features). For general webapps questions related to code, you can use the S40 webapps discussion board @ http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...es-40-Web-Apps

Web Tool 2.0 is Fine With New feature file upload and download This is the first web based tool give access to file system with java script (even android and iPhone didn't provide this feature we can done this on phone gap plugin on iphone and android).But some existing feature are missing to access with nokia web SDK(Sensor).If nokia give HTML5 Canvas feature its most useful for developer to develop higher end game for lower end Device.But i Thank to the team to add file feature which is on W3c HTML5 Requirement. once again tank for whole Web SDK team.

rk_s40,

I think I expressed myself badly about #3. What I meant was that the offline package doesn't work on Linux out of the box. Only a windows executable is provided. Since the viewer uses Eclipse, the support is (probably) already there, the only thing thats missing is the shortcut to launch everything in Linux too. The library does contain everything, but double-clicking eclipse.exe in Linux doesn't work.
    http://igordsm.googlepages.com

Igordsm,

Thanks for the clarification, we will address this in the next update.

Regular Contributor

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my entry for the competition: MinesFinder. A Series40 WebApp Minesweeper clone:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ki/MinesFinder
    https://projects.developer.nokia.com/minesfinders40

I hope someone can learn something from this little fun project. Now let me add the feedback about the Nokia Web Tools 2.0:

The Nokia Browser cannot work with any class names which are not created upfront. This includes the auto-generated class names from mwl.iterateClass();. If you don't create them, your app will not work on device but in local and cloud preview.

Building cascading MWL commands is really hard, especially if you start to use document.write. Maybe you could create a mwl.cascade() function which envelopes mwl functions and escapes everything correctly.

Was anyone ever able to run the on screen keyboard in the simulator? I always get an error "Die Bildschirmtastatur konnte nicht gestartet werden.".

Create example pages for the in-build css classes. Check Nokia's Mobile Web Templates. There you did it very good. Offer the CSS as LESS code so we can customize it easier.

Category List Component & Simulator Not Responding

Hi,

Here is my feedback,

When I make a Category List by either dragging or double clicking it, the second list item is missing this : "id='category_title_2'"
    Without it, the arrow that intended to show the user whether the list is opened (point to right) or closed (point to down) will remain closed no matter if the list is actually opened.

Second, when you already have Category List, and want to add the third item by dragging/double-clicking the Category List Item it has the id = category_item_3, as expected.

But, when we want to add the fourth list item, it is still category_item_3. So there will be 2 divs with same id.
    My suggestion : Check the latest index of the item before adding it to the page. It may seems simple but it gives the user bad experiences to have edit it over and over again when creating application with Category List.

The second topic is the simulator, I don't know what causes this but sometimes the simulator just stopped working after I run it several times (pressing alt+r, edit, then alt+r again, edit again, alt+r again , so on...)

It is also sometimes, when I press alt+r, and there is still simulator active, it will create another instance. So there are 2 simulators, when pressing alt+r again, there will be 3 simulators. But, the first one is always not responding.

How to fix is first close all the simulator first and it will go normal.

I don't sure whether it is good or bad because it is just sometimes, perharps it is adjustable in the setting?
    Oh, FYI : I'm running Win7 64bit.
    Last edited by e4studio; 2012-07-31 at 15:36.

Super Contributor

Re: Category List Component & Simulator Not Responding

Thanks very much guys. I've forwarded to the product management team

Re: Category List Component & Simulator Not Responding

Thanks for your feedback.

The missing title for the second category item is a bug.

Wrt to adding a category item, currently the support for adding snippets into your html is basic and this is the reason why you see that the category item being added is always the same. We will consider this for a future release.

Wrt to the simulator, we will try and reproduce the simulator issue you have reported below.

Or maybe sir, when the user decide to add another list item. The user can decide what is the name of the id, by using some pop-up box, or directly highlighting the id section with some instruction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast