Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Question Nokia Map tiles in iOS application

I have a application for iPhone & iPad which currently can use Google maps, Openstreetmap, MapQuest, OpenCycleMap etc.
    I was wondering can I use the Nokia maps in the application?
    And what is the caching policy of Nokia map tiles if using map in native application is allowed?

I know that this can be done quite easily, I tested it and it works, but can I officially do this 8)

Regular Contributor

Re: Nokia Map tiles in iOS application

The terms and conditions for the public APIs can be found here: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Develop/Maps/TC.html

Direct request and use of map tiles without using the APIs, whilst technically possible, would appear to fall foul of section 6(v) - specifically the lack of copyrights and so on:

(v) You will not remove or obscure any copyright or trademark notices or other similar notices or markings or legends from the Software;
    Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, You may not (a) reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Software, except and only to the extent permitted by applicable mandatory law; (b) modify or create derivative works of the Software, except and only to the extent permitted by Nokia;

I'm not sure but caching and re-using your own large set of cached map tiles could also be considered a derivitive work. The obvious candidate to get a Nokia map on the iPhone at the moment would be to use the Mobile HTML5 API. This supports offline use, works on iOS and is 100% legal.

Prohibition on caching of images and the mandatory retention of copyright notices are also part of the Google Maps T&Cs, so you might want to ensure you are doing the right thing there as well.
    Last edited by jasfox; 2012-06-28 at 20:54.

Re: Nokia Map tiles in iOS application

In my case the HTML5 is no go, so I wont use the Nokia maps. There is plenty of other maps available so its not a problem.
    Is there any plans to make Nokia Map SDK for Android / iOS?
    I know that the Bing maps has a SDK for iOS.
    Google Maps uses its own MKMapView, so I am not breaking any T&C with those maps.
    The OpenStreetMap and other open map systems just require copyright notice in some corner of the map and after that you can use those.