Discussion Board

Smile Play youtube video

Hello All,

I need to develop a java app using Nokia SDK2.0 on the latest asha phones, 305 and 311.
    How can my app play a youtube video? Is it possible to use platformRequest() function to do this?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Play youtube video

Hi ChinLoong and Welcome to Nokia discussion boards,

your question is already answered in this thread. I don't think any changes in devices based on SDK 2.0 related to the answer in that thread
    You could use platformRequest() to launch the browser with a YouTube URL, though, but other than that, I don't think there're any good solutions.

As probably no device has a suitable video codec for Java, if you wish to "embed" the YouTube video in your Java application, you would have to write your own vide decoder entirely in Java to get it to work (either Flash Video or HTML5). I don't think it'd be very practical (it'll most probably be too slow to be usable even if you manage to do it).

Thanks for your response. May I also know how if it is possible for the phone to open a list of jpg files with the phone's native picture viewer. Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Expert

May I also know how if it is possible for the phone to open a list of jpg files with the phone's native picture viewer. if I understand correctly you mean "how phones native picture viewer works and open list of jpg files" or "how to open/launch native picture viewer from your application". second one is not possible.

phone native picture viewer is written on phone native software like C/C++. Its not possible for 3rd party developer to access, but you can implement same kind of application using Java ME. you can check video and source code tutorial of Episode 9: Canvas, Gestures and Animation

Super Contributor

Actually you might want to try something like this :
    platformRequest("file://E/image.png");

Should start the native app responsible for showint that type of picture/image...

Documentation : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...n-java-me.html
    Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support. All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.