Discussion Board

Angry how nokia makes easy procedures lengthy,uncomfortable and broken.

as i try to develop apps for symbian with s60 3rd edition FP1 SDK.
    i repeatedly encounter road blocks which only function is to stop you from developing applications for this platform.

for example:
    i've installed the mentioned SDK and everything was working fine until the emulator started asking for a serial, (after 14 days) which is fine as long as you tell me how to obtain it.
    but it's not that easy since this serial is apparently unobtainable since the page it refers to is non-existent and the offline route only results in a "Error:500" (which is an internal server error ) output. so as of yet i cannot develop anything for this platform anymore.

i really find this tedious and superfluous.
    nokia should adopt this simple idea "if you want people to develop for you, make it easy" don't have them jumping though hoops entering serial number (for the carbid platform) after serial number and ultimately have an out-of-date/broken system to manage it.

it's frustrating and unneeded. and i am very close to abandon this platform and just get an android phone or something. i heard great things about that

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how nokia makes easy procedures lengthy,uncomfortable and broken.

The SDK registering has been working just fine for me, anyway, I have not tried it lately. If it is not working, you should file a bug report for it: http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/

Re: how nokia makes easy procedures lengthy,uncomfortable and broken.

Thanks. i filed a bug report.
    but my venting in this thread is not just because of the registering bug but for the whole process.
    if your SDK needs registering ask for it on the installation process. and why not make it "one serial fits all" ?
    so we won't have to go through this process for each element in our IDE?. Or even better why not generate a one
    off serial number on the installation process that will streamline the entire process ?

as i mentioned before it's unneeded and feels like no one thought this through.