Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

[moved] Toast Message in Windows Phone

Hi Friends,

I want to know bit about Windows Phone Toast Notification message.
    Lets say if I am not near to the phone and there were many toast message, is there any possibilities that I can see all those toast message later on also.
    As I see toast message comes and goes off after some time, so like Android notification bar is there any place in windows phone where I can see all those toast message all together.

Thanks
    Somnath

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: [moved] Toast Message in Windows Phone

Hello Somnath,

AFAIK WP 7.5 doesnt have a notification bar which means a notification toast once gone is gone you can't track it.

I am not sure but WP 8 doesnt specifically say about this feature but i hope things are better there.

Regards,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by somnathbanik View Post
    Hi Friends,

I want to know bit about Windows Phone Toast Notification message.
    Lets say if I am not near to the phone and there were many toast message, is there any possibilities that I can see all those toast message later on also.
    As I see toast message comes and goes off after some time, so like Android notification bar is there any place in windows phone where I can see all those toast message all together.

Thanks
    Somnath
    Are you talking about a developer perspective or a user perspective? Toast messages are received in context with an App. If the App is built in a way that it has a Live Tile that will inform the user how many notification where received and then when the user opens the app, shows a list of notifications, then the user will be able to see missed notifications. But there is no central place on Windows Phone to see all notifications or an history of notifications. Each app is responsible to inform the user of the notifications received and keep an history if thats the experience you want the user to have.

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks guys,

I got your point.

thanks a lot guys !!

Nokia Developer Champion

Perhaps a little extra clarification. The App itself will have to update it's tile accordingly. If you only send a Toast message to the device it will be displayed and once it's gone, it's gone. If you want it to be shown on the tile you will have to send a tile update along with the toast notification. Resetting of the tile will have to be done by the App itself as well. (e.g. a user reads a PN he received => you will have to update the tile counter to display the current number of unread messages).