Discussion Board

Question Getting IMEI on S40 devices

Hi,

I have surfed the web about getting my application signed in order to get IMEI,IMSI... on S40 devices, and I didn't found any useful solutions. All what I got was about signing my application with the manufacturer or the operator.
    Is there any method to do that ? or any other explanation about the manufacturer and operator signing ?

Best Regards

Super Contributor

Re: Getting IMEI on S40 devices

There is no way for an independent developer to get the manufacturer to sign your app. The manufacturer will only sign their own apps, so that approach won't work for you.

And for operator signing, you would need to get every network operator (carrier) to sign the app separately, as it is dependent on whose SIM card is on the phone. So, for every country where you wish to distribute your app, you have to get every local operator to agree to sign your app. Usually, operators only sign their own apps, or sometimes apps they preinstall on their phones. In other words, that approach is extremely unlike to to apply, either, I'm afraid.

Note, though what the documentation says:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...roperties.html

"Note:

From Series 40 3rd Edition FP1 to Series 40 6th Edition FP1, this property is available only in the manufacturer and operator domains. From Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40 onwards, this property is available in all domains."
    Last edited by petrib; 2012-07-13 at 07:54.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by lipos123 View Post
    Hi,

I have surfed the web about getting my application signed in order to get IMEI,IMSI... on S40 devices, and I didn't found any useful solutions. All what I got was about signing my application with the manufacturer or the operator.
    Is there any method to do that ? or any other explanation about the manufacturer and operator signing ?

Best Regards
    As petrib, described "There is no way for an independent developer to get the manufacturer to sign your app"
    but if want to use IMEI as UID of your user device - in it place you can use device Bluetooth address as a UID, which you can get using JSR-82.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    There is no way for an independent developer to get the manufacturer to sign your app. The manufacturer will only sign their own apps, so that approach won't work for you.

And for operator signing, you would need to get every network operator (carrier) to sign the app separately, as it is dependent on whose SIM card is on the phone. So, for every country where you wish to distribute your app, you have to get every local operator to agree to sign your app. Usually, operators only sign their own apps, or sometimes apps they preinstall on their phones. In other words, that approach is extremely unlike to to apply, either, I'm afraid.

Note, though what the documentation says:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...roperties.html
    I got your point, but in this case how Whatsapp application is getting the IMEI of the device ?

Best Regards.

Super Contributor

I got your point, but in this case how Whatsapp application is getting the IMEI of the device ?

Best Regards.
    IMHO, Manufacturer Signing is not completly ruled out for 3rd party developers and it could be done on a case by case basis - if the app is a high potential app for Nokia. That request will be considered.

Which is your target segment/Edition in Series 40 ?

Regards
    Gopal

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    Which is your target segment/Edition in Series 40 ?
    Gopal
    C3 phones, and the new ASHA mobiles

Super Contributor

C3 phones, and the new ASHA mobiles
    If your device supports Java Runtime 1.0.0, you can retrieve IMEI without Manf Signing. Please go through the URL Petrib suggested and try with the System Property.

Regards
    Gopal