Discussion Board

Save animated gif as contact photo

Hello - I am using a Asha 303. I have verified that I am able to attach an animated gif to a contact using the native contact application which the phone displays properly on incoming call. When I try to use the PIM API to attach the same gif file, the phone shows only the first frame of animated gif. Since the phone only supports the CONTACT.PHOTO option I am Base64 encoding the image before calling the contact.addBinary method. Can anyone suggest why the phone would not animate the gif when attached in this way? Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

Thanks in advance

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Save animated gif as contact photo

Quote Originally Posted by dave7010 View Post
    Hello - I am using a Asha 303. I have verified that I am able to attach an animated gif to a contact using the native contact application which the phone displays properly on incoming call. When I try to use the PIM API to attach the same gif file, the phone shows only the first frame of animated gif. Since the phone only supports the CONTACT.PHOTO option I am Base64 encoding the image before calling the contact.addBinary method. Can anyone suggest why the phone would not animate the gif when attached in this way? Has anyone succeeded in doing this?

Thanks in advance
    Check if this device supports - CONTACT.PHOTO_URL, field you save the file in file system and provide its URL.
    If CONTACT.PHOTO_URL is not supported then try addBinary without Base64 encoding and see if it works.
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

It seems native app and java interface are not similar in functionality. At least you do correctly encoding picture to base64. There is 'attribute' parameter that describes base64 encoded data value. If Nokia device supported the attribute they would give more information how to use it. By default that parameter is ignored. So i think you cannot fix that.

The CONTACT.PHOTO_URL is not supported. They do support PIMItem.EXTENDED_FIELD_MIN_VALUE for video. Problem is that I want to display an animation of sorts that no audio which means the phone won't ring. I tried without Base64 encoding which does not work even for static pictures. Which 'attribute' parameter are you referring to?

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

i referred to the third parameter in the call
    Code:
    public void setBinary(int field,
                          int index,
                          int attributes,
                          byte[] value,
                          int offset,
                          int length)
    attributes - a bit array specifying any optional attributes describing this value. These attributes are a hint to the about the value's characteristics and some or all may be ignored by this method due to platform restrictions. Attributes that are invalid or not applicable are also ignored.

As for base64 encoding that is only way how it accepts binary -- so you do it correctly

Have you checked this "How to add a video clip to a contact in Java ME"

As I mentioned in my previous post, attaching a video will not be suitable since the video will be without audio. The user will not hear his phone ring. If there was a way to for the phone to default to native ringtone where no audio was found this would be ideal.