Discussion Board

Transparent page

Can v make a PhoneApplicationPage transparent?So that if I navigate to the page i will able to view previous page and also its works as a glass sheet?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Transparent page

I do not know the actual answer, but you may find http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...indows_Phone_7 useful if the background content is supposed to be static.

The way Windows Phone handles Pages makes it seem very unlikely to be able to work the way you want. I'm very certain it would be impossible to work the way you want.

There is no reason you cannot create a popup control and make it cover the entire Page and make it partially transparent with perhaps a gradient to make it appear like glass. UI updates occurring below it should show through. Just be sure to handle the back button to make the popup disappear first if it is showing instead of closing the Page. Closing the Page if the popup is open when the back button is pressed will cause your app to fail certification (normally).

A resource like http://www.windowsphonegeek.com/tips...-Windows-Phone is invaluable when getting started learning how to use popups.

Regards,
    Stephen

You can create all your views on the same layoutroot and add transparency between them. The problem is that with solution, you can not use the default navigation system between pages. You must create your own "pages management" to do that with custom back button management.
    Another solution it to create screenshot of your page, and insert the screenshot on the nextpage with transparency effect. And then you can keep the default navigation management.
    See following link for screenshot managmenent on WP7:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...om-application

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by yogeshg View Post
    Can v make a PhoneApplicationPage transparent?So that if I navigate to the page i will able to view previous page and also its works as a glass sheet?
    Just to add to what the others said. One of the things that gets under the users skin, specially in windows phone, is to have an app to behave on a different way than whats expected. You have 2 types of applications. Or 3. XNA, Silverlight and a mix of the 2. When you are building an XNA app almost anything works. You usually use XNA to make games or graphic intensive apps. And users will know that this app will behave in an original and different way. But if you are creating an Silverlight app (usually to consume or create content and to access services) you should try and stick to the typical behavior of an SL app unless you need to add some extra features that may give an edge to your app over the competition. Transparent windows are not probably something I would do, but I'm nnot sure of what type of app you are developing so it may be important in your case. Only you will know for sure

Just my 2 cents.