Discussion Board

qt is dying? (for nokia)

Nokia closes it's Qt offices in Australia as reports claim.
    Nokia might be thinking of selling off it's Qt toolkit soon.
    The end of Qt for Nokia near?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: qt is dying? (for nokia)

I know that you like pointing out things that you think are big mistakes, as you have done in other posts:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...-for-Harmattan!
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...16-Big-mistake

anyway, we don't speculate or comment on rumors here on any kind. Instead we concentrate on constructive discussions concerning Development on Nokia devices & services. Also if you say that somebody claims something, you might want to include some links to reliable information source as well.

Super Contributor

QT is not a good ecosystem, as it is technically impossible to update simulateanos the qt core on all brands of the market, so developing for qt is not the right choice. For example there is no qt in windowsphone or android qt is not same as nokia one. So, to close the project it is a very smart decision.

Problem for nokia is that symbian ecosystem is great, but windowsphone is still very new and market still dont react to it. So, nokia future is very dark really. Hope Elop has a plan b.....

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by droopy123 View Post
    QT is not a good ecosystem, as it is technically impossible to update simulateanos the qt core on all brands of the market, so developing for qt is not the right choice
    I think you have to try it first

droopy123, dato_k and droopyar (not appearing in this thread so far) are the house-trolls hanging around. Convincing them (? assuming that they are really different persons) will not work, and they do not seem to be developers, so that "try" will unlikely happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    droopy123, dato_k and droopyar (not appearing in this thread so far) are the house-trolls hanging around. Convincing them (? assuming that they are really different persons) will not work, and they do not seem to be developers, so that "try" will unlikely happen.
    I am developer/ I have not apps in nokia store. my apps are for personal or corporate use

@wizard_hu

Instead of attacking me, please make a full review on QT technololgy.

From what i have read, windowsphone do not have QT eco-system, android QT is not updated and not compatible with nokia qt, qt is an old technology nowadays where few coders are developing.

In conclusion, closing QT is a right and smart decision. If you have something to add, please post comments related to QT, not to me.

Guys, if I would have really strong feelings against you, these posts would not have a long lifespan and your accounts might have been banned too.
    But, I still reserve my opinion, you are always starting/joining discussions with "gray" topics, which are usually not really related to this site (here we are supposed to discuss about software development), dismissing WP with no apparent reason, recently Meego too. Droopyar was also into cracking Symbian devices, but those posts have been removed.
    QT is QuickTime, a technology from Apple.
    Qt is what you probably mean, and from development point of view it is a rich, multi-platform programming environment built on "real" C++, in contrast to Symbian C++ which is a single platform environment with a hard-to-learn C++ dialect. Many (perhaps most) successful games for Symbian devices are actually developed with Qt, including Bounces or Angry Birds just to name two of them.
    Qt had the chance to become the ubiquitous platform for Nokia, since it is supported on Symbian, on Maemo/Meego, and until recently it has been rumoured to come for Series 40 or some successor platform for it.
    Since you are usually dismissing WP, it is somewhat schizophrenic to dismiss Qt just because it can not exist on WP7.

According to Symbian Developer blog http://symbian-developers.net/nokia-sells-qt-to-digia/

Nokia have sold QT to Digia, and it is not more under Nokia development. So, QT is gone and no more interest for developers. It is history now.

Regular Contributor

Qt is fine. not sure about QT, ask Apple about it

Have you even read the article mentioning the future plans of Digia for Qt? Let me answer it for you, no you haven't.

Take a look at this press release of Digia: http://www.digia.com/en/Home/Company...mber_144286053
    This means that the Qt will not only live but it will grow even more in multiple directions.

So please don't make inaccurate comments.