Discussion Board

Qt Remote Compiler authentication does not work

EDIT: Ah, there is already couplr of threads about this. Well I hope that this probkem will be fixed soon.

Remote compiler authenticarion does not work anymore.

It seems that authentication problems started when Nokia changed to single account system. You now login to Nokia Developer site usign your Nokia account. It looks like that change did break the Remote Compiler authentication.

During this summer I have not managed to use Remote Compiler at all. Authentication always fails. It did work earlier, remote compiler did work perfectly. This problem is REALLY annoying. I’m a Linux user and I want to build Qt apps for the Symbian, this means that I have to use remote compiler. I can’t build anything now, because remote compiler authentication does not work! This is really driving me mad, because I had to halt my projects. I have even uninstalled and re-instakked the Qt SDK, but it dud not help.

Here is how to reproduce the problem

1) Make sure that Remote Compiler support is installed in your Qt SDK

2) Go to QtCreator’s Options:
    Tools -> Options -> Build & Run -> Remote Compiler

3) Enter your username

4) Click the Authenticate-button

5) Enter your password

6) It looks like authentication works, BUT.

7) Close the QtCreator’s Options window by clicking applu an Ok buttons.

8) Re-open the Options window

9) Go to the remote compiler settings again

10) Now you should see that you are NOT authenticated

11) If you go to QtCreator’s project-settings you also see that you are NOT authenticated to remote compiler, and you can’t use it for building apps
    Last edited by miksuh; 2012-08-04 at 01:37.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Qt Remote Compiler authentication does not work

Hi

It looks like the problem is solved by a workaround because the ticket on Remote Compiler authentication failure is closed

Nokia Developer Moderator

That ticket is old and indeed, at that time the problem was solved.

The current break comes from the introduction of the Single Sign-On system which allows now developers to use the Nokia Account both here on Nokia Developer and also on Nokia Publish. The new login system broke the remote compiler authentication and while a fix was developed soon after the SSO was introduced, we could not release it as it is dependent on an SDK update.

The Remote Compiler is an interesting solution but it has never graduated from its experimental tool stage. While we were trying to get the SSO issue fixed and a new version of the plug-in released, we also reached the conclusion that with its current usage level the investment in this tool is no longer justified. As it is now, all that is left to day about it is: the Remote Compiler service is no longer available and it will not be restored.

We are sorry for the inconvenience this may be causing you. If you are using Linux you may want to have a look at this project and see if you can use it at least as efficiently as you used the remote compiler. If you are using a Mac I'm afraid that there's no alternative and for your Symbian builds you will need a virtual machine with Windows.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

WHY did it take so long to say that Remote Compiler service is permanently closed? WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ANY DAMN INFORMATION ABOUT THAT? You just silently killed the service whitout telling anything about it to developers. I have not seen any blog articles or email messages about this. Total silence. During last months I have sent several messages to several places kindly asking Nokia to fix this problem. I have got zero response, not single response. And Now you are saying that the whole service is closed?? If there would not be this thread there still would be no answer at all :P Sorry but your communication don't really work.
    Last edited by miksuh; 2012-09-07 at 23:38.

Well I can ofcourse use virtualized Windows, but that makes everything so damn slow. Faster computer with more memory would help ofcourse. But in general using clumsy Windows feels like going back to stone age, faster computer wont help that...
    Last edited by miksuh; 2012-09-08 at 06:23.

miksuh, your questions are valid but unfortunately that's the best I could do. We hopped to be able to publish the updated plug-in with SSO support and at the same time announce the due date for the cancellation of the service. Due to Finnish summer vacation and changes in our platform priorities the SDK update never happened and thus the plug-in was never released. It would be rather impossible to make a release for it now.

Yes, we should have communicated the status of the service more transparently, from the moment it stopped working. Unfortunately it is easy to forget something you don't use day to day, and most of us here are working with Windows PCs therefore not needing RC at all. We will try to do better next time.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Hi Lucian. I was able to use the Remote Compiler as late as a week ago (mid October). However, for the last couple of days, I have not been able to use the Remote Compiler. Qt Creator is not able to read the Remote Compiler configuration and it is not possible to compile. Is this a known issue and is it going to be fixed soon?

Hi Samuli,

as said above, the RC service has been discontinued although I have not check on it recently to see whether the company hosting it still has the servers up or not. From what you say, and now I also checked, it looks like the servers are no longer running. The plug-in seems to default to a successful login regardless of the credentials inserted but then of course it cannot fetch valid configuration info from the server.

That's it I'm afraid, the remote compiler is now out of service and will remain so indefinitely.

Best regards,
    -- Lucian

Quote Originally Posted by miksuh View Post
    WHY did it take so long to say that Remote Compiler service is permanently closed? WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ANY DAMN INFORMATION ABOUT THAT?
    It looks like Nokia is simply ignoring developers. With that approach no wonder its market share is shrinking...
    Sorry for flame but I also spent some time to make RC work under both Windows and Linux and now I see Nokia has just wasted my time by not announcing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ondrej_andrej View Post
    I see Nokia has just wasted my time by not announcing anything.
    Many apologies. I agree this should have been better announced (this is the first I'd heard of it). I would be very frustrated in your position.

We've removed mention of the RC from the site and I've archived articles on the topic in the wiki with a note making this clear. I've also now added a sticky on this forum.