Discussion Board

julien_

Question Is it possible to replace Qt libraries on the Nokia N9?

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to modify the QtMobility Location (/usr/lib/libQtLocation.so.1.2.1) library and replace it on the N9? The modification wouldn't change the ABI so I guess it should be possible somehow, but maybe aegis could prevent doing that?

I'm not an expert of Harmattan (and especially not aegis), but I've some experience in writing Qt apps for my N9...

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Is it possible to replace Qt libraries on the Nokia N9?

Hi Julien

Could you please explain your original problem your are trying to solve. Because if you take a particular N9 device, enable there development mode , you can ssh to the device, get root access and free to do there whatever you want -- but that perhaps will not solve your problem if you are developing an application.

Here is how to get access to your device:
    1) enable developer mode : go to Settings --> Security --> Developer mode
    2) go to SDK connectivity tool
    3) ssh to device by using parameters from step 2) : IP address and password. User name is "developer" --- I use WinScp tool , it is possible to connect to device via scp as well as ftp with mentioned account. WinScp tool contains PuTTY utility that allows you to make ssh connection to the device
    4) become a root
    command: devel-su
    password: rootme

Addition info can be easy googled

Regards,
    Igor

julien_

Hi Igor,

Thank you very much for your answer.

My goal is to modify the libQtLocation so that instead of returning a location within a certain radius of some pre-defined place it would returns another, anonymized, location. This is an academic research project, trying to implement the notion of k-anonymity... This way all applications based on QtLocation won't be able to find the real location of the user when he is in the pre-defined area.

To do that I compiled libQtLocation from the source (first without modification) and tried to replace the one in /usr/lib/libQtLocation.so.1.2.1. But when I launched a test application it just returned a segmentation fault (this application is working perfectly with the original library)... So I'm wondering if aegis is protecting somehow these libraries or if the version I compiled is too different from the one used in Harmattan and not compatible.

Now I'm triying another approach by compiling a library that implements only a subset of the functions of libQtLocation and uses the LD_PRELOAD trick (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...-class-methods), but for the moment ld is not able to load my library :-(

I'll continue to explore other options, but if you have any clue on how to do it or why it didn't work, I'd be happy to hear it.

Best regards,
    Julien

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Julien

As i understood you , you need a new implementation of QtLocation API. This task has nothing to do with reverse-engineering or any modification of original library. You need :
    1. list all API calls provided by QtLocation
    2. make new implementation for each call so your new library will be compatible with original QtLocation. If some API call is not important for you just provide empty or stubbing implementation
    3. have your new library some different name, so the original library and new one can co-exist on the same device

You can start with making all API calls implementation empty or stubbing just to be able to build and run your project successfully. The second step would be adding real functionality your are interested in

Or you can consider your new component as a shim between QtLocation and end-application client that will alter or extend QtLocation API. In generally i suggest you to think about your software architecture first.

Regards,
    Igor
    Last edited by izinin; 2012-08-09 at 07:14.

julien_

Hi Igor,

Your solution would perfectly work if I also compile with my new library all the applications I may use for a demo. But if I want for example Nokia Maps (or any closed-source software using QtLocation) to use my library instead, it seems I don't have the choice but replacing QtLocation.

I'll definitely go for your solution in a first phase as a proof of concept. But in the end, I'm still interested in having this feature available for any application on my N9 using QtLocation...

Thanks,
    Julien