Discussion Board

Angry Application failed QA because of new "Personal Data" rules

A bit of a rant here but the last version of my app (which has been published for over 1.5 years) just failed QA due to the below stated reasons:

• ISSUE #1: SUMMARY: The application does not prompt (active consent) the user for permission to use Location Data. User permission is required in order for the application to use Location Data.
      CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Please implement active consent by creating a prompt to ask the user's permission to use Location Data. The prompt must appear before Location Data is used.
      NOTE: The application must also include an 'OPT-OUT' feature that disables the use of Location Data.
    • ISSUE #2: SUMMARY: The application collects Personal Data, but does not include a Privacy Policy in the application.
      CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: A Privacy Policy must be included. The Privacy Policy must either be embedded in the application, or the application must contain a link to a website with a Privacy Policy.
      NOTE: The privacy policy must be included before any personal data is collected.
    • ISSUE #3: SUMMARY: The application does not display a privacy policy before requesting the user's personal data for registration.
      CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Please display a Privacy Policy before the registration process begins.
    I would like to note that the app is free nokia signed and merely uses the GPS to show the user on a map, but never stores or sends the GPS information at any point of time.

I'm perfectly ok with Nokia implementing new rules to protect their users, but I am not ok with the contempt they treat the developers with:
    • I have never been informed of the changes prior to submitting the app
    • I see no help/guidelines to help me implement the changes. Adding a prompt to a Symbian C++ app is significantly painful - why not providing the code? What should be the text we should show? In which language? What does even "including a privacy policy must before any personal data is collected" mean?
    • Nokia KNOWS that the app uses the GPS thanks to the Location capability we need to declare, why don't they implement the prompt themselves?? The prompt already exists for self signed application so why not re-enabling it for nokia signed applications?

Re-reading the text I actually start to find the requirements absolutely outrageous.
    Anyway, makes me feel better to voice my rant but of course I have no other choice than trying my best to comply and spend extra nights to try to get the app published on a dying platform, etc.

Regular Contributor

Re: Application failed QA because of new "Personal Data" rules

Exactly same comment is commented in my application and also the reason why my app fail qa except that my app is new app not update.How many users actually read the privacy policies before sign with our apps.Nokia keep making guideline to push the developer away instead of attracting us but never put any priority in fixing the messy nokia store and crazy nokia publish site

Nokia Developer Moderator

You should check the publisher news, the guidelines for privacy have been there for some weeks now. Basically the guidelines are there for the benefit of the end user, so it might be a small pain for developers, but indeed its good for the users.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    You should check the publisher news, the guidelines for privacy have been there for some weeks now. Basically the guidelines are there for the benefit of the end user, so it might be a small pain for developers, but indeed its good for the users.
    i'm pretty sure such kind of agreement should be system wide. not app related
    just like on N9: first time you trying to use GPS, system asking user's permission to do this

Quote Originally Posted by vladestCh View Post
    i'm pretty sure such kind of agreement should be system wide. not app related
    just like on N9: first time you trying to use GPS, system asking user's permission to do this
    That would be completely different story, this privacy policy is about protecting users right to privacy.

Thanks for the explanation, that's reasonable. However, I don't really understand what to add to my app in order to pass the QA review.
    If I test the app in my phone, it always asks me if I agree that the app will access location data (during installation). From the QA comment, I see there should be another pop-up during app start-up. That means the app should remember the user's selection whether or not to access the location data, right? Mmm, the app should then generate some file with user's decision (true/false) and read it during start-up? Apologies for potentially dumb questions as I'm a basic developer without good C++ knowledge.
    Thanks.

As far as I know, you would not be required to show it in the installation time, only when the app is first started. Then you should save the decision, and also offer settings item which user could access later on, so user could go and change the decision also later on.

We are currently having discussions on the policy implementations, so things might be changing (likely relaxed a bit) soon.

Thanks. I'll go ahead with this.