Discussion Board

Parsing a sis file to get the package name

I want to get the package name from a Symbian sis file using simple c++ file operations. I was able to get the UID of the package.Is this possible to get the package name from Symbian sis file.?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Parsing a sis file to get the package name

Yes, with a little work you can find the SIS file format specification. I usually start on Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIS_(file_format), and get the file name from the non-working link (it is SymbianOSv9.x_SIS_File_Format_Specification.pdf). Then a search can locate it in several places, including the Wiki of this site: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...cification.pdf

Thanks for the PDF details, but it seems to be for application that is already installed... what I want is to open the sis file using normal file operations , then retrieve the package name from that...

Nokia Developer Moderator

I wonder why you think that. "Symbian OS v9.x SIS File Format Specification", containing chapters "SIS File Format", "SIS File Structure", "SIS Fields". I am pretty sure about that it is about files with .sis extension. You need SISInfo::Names, described in 4.2.5. For extracting it you will have to check how arrays (SISArray) and strings (SISString) are stored, and a slightly tricky part is that this field is probably compressed, either individually or with a larger set of other fields. But I can assure you that the entire document is about the internals of a SIS/x file, like HelloWorld.sis/x

Will go through the doc and try to get this...

Thanks