Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Can i run nokia web app for S40 on S60 device ?

Hi i want to know if i can run s40 web app on s60 device like n97 or e72.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Can i run nokia web app for S40 on S60 device ?

Hi

No Series 40 WEB app is incompatible with S60 WEB apps because Series 40 WEB apps run partially on Series 40 cloud , all interaction with your target internet destination happens through the proxy browser resides on the cloud. Some Javascript calls from Series 40 WEB app go through that proxy. See more info here

Regards,
    Igor

Regular Contributor

No it not possible because series40 are java platform devices and series60 are symbian devices.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tarun.WRT View Post
    No it not possible because series40 are java platform devices and series60 are symbian devices.
    That's not the real reason, except superficially. The real reason is, because Nokia did not decide to make the web run-time environments on Series 40 and Symbian/S60 behave in the same way. I.e., they decided to make totally different, incompatible implementations. Probably because the different organizations could not agree on a common approach due to scheduling, budgeting and other reasons (there was nobody high-enough with control and sufficient understanding of the topic to prevent this from happening, and enforce a common approach, or no approach at all).

In other words, if Nokia had had the smarts and decisive leadership and execution, they would have made compatible implementations, rather than two different and incompatible implementations regardless of the differences in the phone operating systems.

And Series 40 is not a "Java platform device" any more than Symbian/S60 is. Both run Java (JME) just fine, and in both the Java is layered on top of a C++ based operating system.