Discussion Board

Hybrid View

MH5 using custom map provider?

Hi guys,
    First off, really cool work, MH5 is really impressive...
    It's just that since I'm from Serbia your current map (tile) provider doesn't display any streets in my country (even though revese geocode works?) so I'm trying to find an easy way to change your tiles for openstreetmap ones (until Serbia's updated).
    So, are there other tile providers gonna be supported soon, or coould we change the mh5.js tile URLs ourselves (and is there someone to ask about whic time could we expect for Nokia tiles to display missing streets in Serbian cities too)?

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: MH5 using custom map provider?

Hi Ntek,
    We are not likely to officially support other map tiles than our Nokia's - in the end we love our own map design too much :-). But let me ask around when we will have proper coverage in Serbia and I will get back to you.

Hi atjin,
    any word please? We're getting ready to launch a new version of our taxi calling service (alpha currently available at firetaxi.com), and it would be super awesome if we could realize some of our taxi fare calculator features on your MH5 platform...but since we're a service in Serbia only now it would hardly be possible. Would applying for AppCampus.fi help (increasing development ties in any way shape or form)?!
    I'm unsure how is it possible for Bing maps to have Serbia streets now and Nokia's don't?
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by atjin View Post
    Hi Ntek,
    We are not likely to officially support other map tiles than our Nokia's - in the end we love our own map design too much :-). But let me ask around when we will have proper coverage in Serbia and I will get back to you.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Ntek,
    It looks like we will be getting detailed maps of Serbia within the next two months - if we are lucky even next month. It is a very complicated process to get this done well for this area, so I hope you understand that I cannot make concrete promises. But I do help it will help you in your project.

Good news atjin, thanks for the tips, we're eagerly awaiting those maps...
    If there's anything else beside applying for nokia's developer programs, that could make those maps come for sure and any sooner, please let us know...
    p.s. I'd let nokia paint our cars for those maps

p.p.s. Any chance Nokia will put out the list of Telco providers in Serbia (and the region) with whom they'll be partnering up to carry their WP7/8 phones ... as of yet no serbian telephone company provider had your WP7 phones available on contracts (and only some in the region countries, which are all in EU, which might have some influence?!) ... I think that would be a very helpful info for our expansion if we decide to pursue Nokia's MH5 from the marketing point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by atjin View Post
    Hi Ntek,
    It looks like we will be getting detailed maps of Serbia within the next two months - if we are lucky even next month. It is a very complicated process to get this done well for this area, so I hope you understand that I cannot make concrete promises. But I do help it will help you in your project.
    Last edited by ntek; 2012-09-05 at 07:50.

Any news about detailed Serbian maps?

Nokia Developer Expert

I was a bit too hasty with my estimation of 2 months. It will take a couple of more months, I am sorry to say. We are now testing them internally and improving them - we only want it to go out if we are sure that the quality is good enough, of course. I hope this timeline does not inconvenience you too much.

Sad news

Many thanks for keeping us informed.

Hi atjin,
    First off, a bit late, congrats on shipping 1.0
    I saw it last week, you've also included community maps, and Serbian streets are there (in Cyrillic even)
    What I was wondering if there is any chance one could customize your framework a bit more...like I'd like to have a customized placement (to the right of the longclicked point, not centered above) and customized look of the infobuble (in form as well as its content - I'd like it to be a rhomboid, containing three buttons, one for setting selected place as start and destination waypoints and the third one for intiating custom details data display - taxi fare calculation data calculated from routing data received back from your API without having to see the regular place details)...and would that use case be legal (because I don't see a way to set the third center image instead of place details text for now and/or have the infobubble open as a rhomboid to the right and up from the map longclicked position - please see the illustration bellow)?

/-----------/
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;/ <- rhomboid infobubble context-menu
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;/-----------/
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;x <- clicked position
    I might be wrong about the need for the third image option, any chance you could tell me procentage-wise, just how much of your users tested wanted just two image buttons instead of three or more in the map context menu/infobubble)
    Cheers.
    P.S. I've read the UX guide document wrong, that is I've found conflicting information now, in the user guide (it's possible to add custom icons even designing them using you own ai files )…

Quote Originally Posted by Presario2 View Post
    Sad news

Many thanks for keeping us informed.
    Last edited by ntek; 2012-12-01 at 15:05.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Ntek and Presario,

The Serbian maps are now also available in our default (routing quality) map tiles.

About the infobubble: this is a good use case, and it's supported, but a bit more complex to implement:
    Have a look at example 9 in http://developer.here.net/docs/mobil...ml#infobubbles

What you can do is put three images into one canvas and then add that canvas to the 'image'-option. You will need to read the events' e.clickedPoint.offsetX and e.clickedPoint.offsetY to see which image was really clicked, though.

(Somehow, I did not get notified of your update, sorry for the late response)