Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Belle refresh with Qt 4.8 rolling out

but there is no update QtSDK for it
    any plans for Digia/Nokia to update QtSDK?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Belle refresh with Qt 4.8 rolling out

Qt 4.8 was already out for quite some time with the Nokia Belle FP1 firmware on devices such as Nokia 700 and Nokia 808 PureView. There is however no SDK update and there will not be one in the future either since the API delta between Qt 4.7.4 and Qt 4.8 foes not justify adding yet another target to the SDK.

If you're using the APIs provided by Qt 4.7.4 in the Anna target of the SDK you can deploy that app and it will run on all Symbian^3, Symbian Anna, Symbian Belle and Symbian Belle FP1/Refresh devices while if you would use a Qt 4.8 based target the resulting app would not work on devices which have only Qt 4.7.4. So you see, having one target only, providing one baseline API set, is the best choice.

Qt 4.8.x does have several changes (see the link in my signature) this is why you will have to test your application on a device with Qt 4.8 and ensure that your app still works as expected. At the same time, although your app is built with Qt 4.7.4 it will use the 4.8 libraries on the devices which have it so all the under the hood performance improvements (faster file system access, more reliable networking, ...) are going to be accessible to your application.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Qt 4.8 was already out for quite some time with the Nokia Belle FP1 firmware on devices such as Nokia 700 and Nokia 808 PureView. There is however no SDK update and there will not be one in the future either since the API delta between Qt 4.7.4 and Qt 4.8 foes not justify adding yet another target to the SDK.

If you're using the APIs provided by Qt 4.7.4 in the Anna target of the SDK you can deploy that app and it will run on all Symbian^3, Symbian Anna, Symbian Belle and Symbian Belle FP1/Refresh devices while if you would use a Qt 4.8 based target the resulting app would not work on devices which have only Qt 4.7.4. So you see, having one target only, providing one baseline API set, is the best choice.

Qt 4.8.x does have several changes (see the link in my signature) this is why you will have to test your application on a device with Qt 4.8 and ensure that your app still works as expected. At the same time, although your app is built with Qt 4.7.4 it will use the 4.8 libraries on the devices which have it so all the under the hood performance improvements (faster file system access, more reliable networking, ...) are going to be accessible to your application.
    Hi,

And what about who doesn't have new Symbian Device ? I have C7 and the new Belle refresh break my application (the update doesn't appear in my phone yet !), the application run fine in Belle FP1, I am so confused !!

This is a bit of a problem, but the emulation provided by the SDK would be less than perfect (while better than nothing, true). As of now, the best solution would be to read the wiki page referenced in my signature and then test your little changes on RDA devices.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Nokia Developer Champion

Well RDA devices doesn't have the new Belle refresh (v111.040.1511)...

I asked the RDA team to add some Belle Refresh devices.
    -- Lucian