Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Unhappy RPointerArray::Count() does not change after calling RPointerArray::Remove() ?

Hi,
    I have a piece of code, which is behaving very strangely.
    It's a RPointerArray which am iterating in a for loop and then deleting entries using the RPointerArray::Remove function.
    Now the problem is that, even after a few items are deleted the RPointerArray::Count() still not reflect the deleted entries!!
    I have got the code reviewed with others and they haven't noticed any issues with it.
    The only thing is that I am running this code within a thread.
    The same code snippet when added to HelloWorld example app, seems to work fine, but not within the thread.
    Any pointers to fixing this issue?
    Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: RPointerArray::Count() does not change after calling RPointerArray::Remove() ?

never seen that happening, and indeed it should never happen, so I would suggest re-checking that it is indeed happening. anyway , from API docs, I see that there is function called Compress();, maybe you could see if it makes any difference for you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: RPointerArray::Count() does not change after calling RPointerArray::Remove() ?

RPointerArray just works fine. If Count does not seem to update, that is an other object. Check your code for passing the RPointerArray object by value, especially the part when it is passed to the thread function. I assume you are describing a situation where the array is created and used in different threads.
    Side note: since RPointerArray uses a heap-based buffer, the threads should use a shared heap.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    never seen that happening, and indeed it should never happen, so I would suggest re-checking that it is indeed happening. anyway , from API docs, I see that there is function called Compress();, maybe you could see if it makes any difference for you.
    Tried Compress(), but that also did not help.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    RPointerArray just works fine. If Count does not seem to update, that is an other object. Check your code for passing the RPointerArray object by value, especially the part when it is passed to the thread function. I assume you are describing a situation where the array is created and used in different threads.
    This variable is created locally in a function, so it seems more strange than ever. It isn't being shared between threads. Also I am mostly removing the 0th item always, will that make any difference?

Evil question: how do you check Count() exactly?
    Otherwise no, it does not matter which item you are removing, the internals of RPointerArray are really simple.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Evil question: how do you check Count() exactly?
    By calling RPointerArray::Count() function.

Nokia Developer Champion

can you paste here the full function definition where this operation is taking place.

I meant how you (as a person) get the value. Store it into a dummy variable and check it in the debugger? Display it on the screen (how? passing it to the primary thread? or via Open C printf?)? Logging it into a file?