Discussion Board

Exclamation Build error relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL

Hi,

I am programming on Symbian s60 3rd MR SDK, with gcc 3.4.3 and I use Carbide.c++ 2.6. My application is quite big (2.15 MB sis). Lastly, after building, I have an error:
    Relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL against symbol
    I found on one forum that change eexe.lib from other SDK will help. I try to take this file, from other SDKs, but I still have this error message. I also noticed that, some people said there is a patch to this lib, but I can't find anything ( http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...against-symbol ). Link to patch is old and the page doesn't exist. I also try to change my gcc to 4.6.3, but then I have an error:
    internal compiler error: segmentation fault
    and I really have no idea what to do. On another gcc (4.4.1) everything build and install on device ok, but my application crash in various places. I suspect it is probably caused by static fiasco. My application is too big, and I can't change all static methods.

Maybe someone of you have one of this problem and solved it. I would be grateful for any information.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Build error relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_THM_CALL

Hi

why do you need to support gcc 3.4.3 when you say "On another gcc (4.4.1) everything build and install on device ok" ? --- is the development environment customization the reason of your problem?

Try to reinstall proper Symbian SDK fresh
    Last edited by izinin; 2012-09-04 at 12:58.

On gcc 4.4.1 everything build and install without any errors, but application crash in various places, what is cause by static fiasco (I suppose). My application is too large and I can't find and repair all potentiall places, where static fiasco is.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi

Symbian platform supports writeable global static data in EXEs. To have supporting it in DLL you need to declare macro EPOCALLOWDLLDATA in the MMP file. I think your assumption about static is not correct, but enourmous size of EXE might be reason that you reached the compiller limits -- i don't know for sure.

I think it would be wize to break down the software on dll components. You will spend some time but solve the problem completely.