Discussion Board

Hybrid View

The application must include an "OPT-OUT" feature

Good day

I'm publishing an update food reservation app on Nokia store (v 1.1) and now I'm getting this error from QA (previously was not there)

ISSUE #1:
    SUMMARY: The application does not prompt (active consent) the user for permission to use Location Data. User permission is required in order for the application to use Location Data.
    CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Please implement active consent by creating a prompt to ask the user's permission to use Location Data. The prompt must appear before Location Data is used.
    NOTE: The application must also include an "OPT-OUT" feature that disables the use of Location Data.

1- can active consent be every time the user wants to use the location based service, I show a dialog box asking we are going to use your data to place an order, continue or not.

2- if i do the first option, would that mean that no need for opt-out feature to be implemented as the user would be asked everytime if they want to use the location based service.

3- the reason for this, is i dont want to add an extra settings component for the app, for use gps settings.!!!!!!

regards

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: The application must include an "OPT-OUT" feature

Indeed good question, actually it was though that most developers would not want to annoy users by always asking the question. So at least I did not see this situation mentioend in the rules. Anyway, the point there is to let the user control the acceptance, so if you really ask it everytime, then I would not see the requirement for saving & havign settings item to be required.

Anyway, do let me know if you choose to go this way, and you get problems with QA. I'll then go reasoning with them and we'll see if docs should also be taking care of this particular situation.

Thanks Yucca.

I implemented it this way, as the use of GPS is only one option when the user wants to see the list of restaurants next to them. so it may not be used too often (or maybe they would, not sure yet).
    Anyways, I will let you know how that turns out

regards

if there is problems, please use the PM feature and remember to included the content ID in the store, so I can find it easily if needed.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Yucca,

I think i have the same situation with yazwas. I got this error from QA:

Comments from the QA team:
    Failed QA.
    ISSUE #1: SUMMARY: The application does not provide an option to opt-out / disable the use of Location Data.
    CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Please implement an 'opt-out' or 'disable location data' option.

ISSUE #2: SUMMARY: The application does not provide an option to opt-out / disable the use of In-App Analytics. The user must have a way to disable In-App Analytics
    CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Please implement an 'opt-out' or 'disable analytics' option. (public, Moderation pending -> Qa failed)

how should i implement opt-out of In-App Analytic? well, i even can't find the documentation to implement the analytics.

Looking forward to hear the answer from you, soon.

Thanks
    Regards,
    --
    @raiekribo

his situation was actually caused by his own mistake in submitting the app, thus there was additional things required, anyway, he fixed the submissions and got the problem solved as well.

So if you are not using analytics of any kind, then see that your submission is not including any statements etc to indicate that you would be using analytics.

And if you use analytics of any kind, then make sure you do provide (settings ) options for user to turn the feature off, without it having any effects on applications normal usage.

Hi Yucca,

Thanks for the answer. I have disabled the analytic option when submitting the app, but the it's still failed.
    The same with location permission. I already, implement a dialog so user can choose if the permit the app to get the location. But, then again, it's failed the QA process.

I think using location means we are implement an analytic. Unfortunately, i couldn't find any documentation about In-App Analytic. The page in project.developer.nokia.com/inappanalytics was showing empty page.

Will appreciate your help. Thanks.

Can you PM me the content ID, I'll check the submission and then ask some additional question through the PM feature.

Regular Contributor

I just read this tread and i want to ask if my application use gps then i must implement active consent or it will fail qa?Why i still need to implement active because without gps use,the app is totally useless so what's the point if i add active consent to the app because if users disbale gps then the app is going to be non funtional

As said the original problem was not related to GPS, it was submission error.

Regular Contributor

Post a wrong thing
    Last edited by babylongreece; 2012-10-16 at 14:34.

Symbianyucca,you say that that the problem is just submission error but today my app failed for two reason.First is a privacy policies issue that i can fix but the second issue is the active consent issue.My app is a gps app which require gps enable for the app to work properly.Why i need to implement active consent that will cause the app to be non functional.If the users accidentally disable gps then the app will not work as expected and then will blame the app.

Failed QA.

ISSUE #1
    SUMMARY: The application does not prompt (active consent) the user for permission to use Location Data. User permission is required in order for the application to use Location Data.
    CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: Please implement active consent by creating a prompt to ask the user's permission to use Location Data. The prompt must appear before Location Data is used.
    NOTE: The application must also include an 'OPT-OUT' feature that disables the use of Location Data.

ISSUE #2
    SUMMARY: The application collects Personal Data, but does not include a Privacy Policy in the application.
    STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
    1. Download and install the content.
    2. Launch the application.
    ACTUAL RESULT: The application starts the GPS
    CORRECTIVE ACTIONS: A Privacy Policy must be included. The Privacy Policy must either be embedded in the application, or the application must contain a link to a website with a Privacy Policy and the Privacy Policy must be included before any personal data is collected.

Can you PM with the application content ID, I'll check the app, and will ask you some questions before asking any clarifications from the QA.

Nokia Developer Expert

re allowing a gps only app to turn the gps feature off

While technically absurd in case where the app would not do anything without the active connection, we must still always view the application from the user's perspective: the user must always be in control of her device. So if you provide a option to disable gps tracking the user will feel that they have control over when / which applications can make outbound connections from the device. If the setting renders your application useless, then it would be a good idea to implicate this on the app UI while that setting is set 'on'. Again, from the app developer perspective does not sound that rational perhaps, but for the end user this allows greater control and information about the device and the application.

Same rationale goes for any apps that are collecting user information on the device: the user must be able to manage their data privacy level at will.

Regular Contributor

The guy below got a point