Discussion Board

How to Create icon notification on the home screen.

How to Create icon notification on the home screen, similar to the notification of a new message, bluetooth, usb connection, ...
    Anyone help me with this!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to Create icon notification on the home screen.

You can not add any new soft-notifications, as far as I know the set is actually hard coded. Thus the best alternative might be to use floating window on top of the homescreen.

Thanks symbianyucca !
    i use floating window. it just exists even when I'm in any application.For example, in photography, it is still on the screen.I just want my floating window appears in three places: in the home screen, menu, and my program, how?

Nokia Developer Moderator

you could simply monitor the focus apps: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...eground_events and keep your own only when the apps you want to have your stuff are on focus.

Note that with latest Symbian^3 devices/firmwares, the menu & homescreen is actually same application, and thus will have same UID, and not foreground change events are generated when switching between them.

If you want to detect when Idle screen is active on Belle: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Detect_if_Idle_screen_is_active_on_Belle

So, if you combined get foreground application UID example with the mentioned wiki, you can know if Idle screen is active or Menu grid is active on Belle.

The logic will be as follow:

Code:
    1- If foreground application UID == (Home-screen + Menu) UID => then Get the Idle screen status via Pub/Sub key.
       a) If Idle screen status == 1 => then the Idle screen is active (Not Menu grid).
       b) else If Idle screen status == 0 then the Menu grid is active (Not the Idle screen).
    2- Else if foreground application UID != (Home-screen + Menu) UID => then there is another application in foreground.
    Knowing that: This is not a public API, so there is no guarantee to be supported in future platform updates, and no guarantee to support all devices; so you are advised to test it on all devices your application is going to work on.