Discussion Board

Nokia 700 Belle - Maximum outgoing email size?

Is there a limit on this?

I am finding a limit around 2MB. One can email around two camera pictures as attachments. Allowing for the uuencode expansion (almost 2x) over the binary size...

There is 120MB free space on c:

It isn't a straight Symbian limit because the old E51 could easily send and receive > 10MB emails.

There is no response whatsoever to this kind of Q (or almost any other kind of Q) at http://discussions.nokia.com.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia 700 Belle - Maximum outgoing email size?

You could always try making new question in the http://discussions.nokia.com. , after all it is the endures support forum. The C-Drive space is not same as RAM, and could indeed be that its the RAM that limits it, so maybe you should check what is the RAM situation when you try sending messages.

I used the memory monitor feature in Active-File and it shows 290-292MB free memory.

Does that make sense for Belle?

The funny thing is that with the memory monitor running, I can send much larger emails So I suspect this is a bug elsewhere, in the email app maybe.

I did start a new thread in the "end user" forum but that forum is just packed with questions which nobody is answering.

I would not know on active-file app. Anyway, I would suggest you get your data right first, and then also check whether different email account make any difference. And also after you get these done, you could always explain what actually happens when the sending fails.

The email account is not an "account" as such. It is straight SMTP AUTH, which we use at work all the time. The email limit is about 30MB.

Incoming email comes via POP.

So I am not using any "account" such as Nokia Mail, Google, etc.

Is it plausible for Symbian to have say 290MB free memory (RAM)?

it could indeed have that much free, the total RAM according to http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_700-4021.php is 512.

I would suggest then debugging and seeing what happens when the email fails, or contact the developer of the application you are using and ask them to determine what happens.

In general applications default max-Heap could indeed be the 2MB, so if the application used is not using bigger Heap, it could of course never use all available memory. Anyway, in general apps should be reading files in parts while sending them to minimize the memory consumption.

Many thanks - that's very helpful.

The email app is the built-in Nokia one. It works generally well but is a retrograde step from the previous versions (as on e.g. E51) in that a) you can no longer configure the storage location (drive letter) for messages (they are forced to c: which plays a large part in the widespread issues with low c: space in Belle) and there is no option for a default BCC field (a pity, since in the SMTP/POP scenario most serious mobile email users will want to BCC emails sent from the phone to himself).

There are 3rd party email apps but most don't work in Belle (touch screen issues mostly, I think) and in any case there is no way to replace the built-in app for e.g. sending images from the gallery when the Send menu always invokes the built-in email app (same issue on Iphone/Ipad).

basically anything written in here will simply get lost over the time, so if you want to give feedback, you could see whether there is any options fro you in: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/

I posted it here because

1) Somebody might reply usefully

2) The forum appears to be used by developers, so may be read by developers at Nokia, and they might fix this in the next version of Belle. I don't think Nokia get much useful input from the end user forum because it is jam packed with banal one-liners.

Does Nokia still employ developers for Symbian? I read somewhere they offloaded the business to Accenture (?) but did that apply to Symbian O/S and Nokia built-in app development also?

Nokia internal developers are generally not looking bug reports posted in here, and that's why we have the bug reporting channels, so if you want to report a bug, please do it through the bug reporting channels.