Discussion Board

upgrading my app

Hi
    I made an app a year ago, now i have a newer version, The app usually creates some settings storage file runtime in its private directory during its first run. so when I intsall the newer version over the oldversion it usually asks me whether to uninstall oldversion. and wit removes old and puts the new version , So my question here is will it remove the old settings files created by the old version!?
    -S

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: upgrading my app

You could check that very easily by testing it on any device really, so why wouldn't you just try it out ?

Basically if the re-installation is to other drive, or if the pkg file has anything for the file, then the file will be replaces/deleted.

Of course i did try myself before asking , it gave me some unexpected results, so just thought of asking whether the upgrade flushes the private directory

What kind of results ? , basically its often better if you could provide more information on the things you have tried sofar. As said if you have some things defined in your pkg file, which would make the re-installation to remove or replace the files, that would definetely happen, also if you change the drive the app is installed, then also files are removed.

if you replace in same drive, i general they should be left there if the files are not handled by the pkg file in any ways, though have tested this only some years ago last time.

Does your Y file browser help to locate private files!.. I bought it for 2 eur but seems like it doesnot show private dir , or am i missing something?

in general there are no file managers which would show private folders, Symbian signed will not be giving AllFiles capability to the general file managers, thus according to that rule, it can not be made.

Anyway, what is the behavior you are getting ?

You could have simple BafUtil lines added for debugging whether the files are there on starting your app, and use Global notes to show the debugging information. that way you could get rather reliable information rather quickly.

For the behaviour of reinstallation and upgrade/patch packages, consider checking the documentation, topic upgrading rules. Direct link for the on-line version: http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...dingRules.html (you usually have to open library links twice in order to get to the 'real' page).