Discussion Board

In-App Api gives operation failed, try again error

i have implemented in-app feature in a J2ME app, but when i try to purchase an item , by logging in into the Nokia account it displays the following error "Operation failed! try again later" and no callback is given to the application afterwards, i have to manually exit the app. can anyone explain please, am I doing something wrong or is this OS issue..

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: In-App Api gives operation failed, try again error

Hi cyberpawn and welcome to Nokia's Discussion Boards,

If you don't receive a call back, that means that the status you receive from the purchaseProduct method

Code:
    int status = manager.purchaseProduct("XXXXXX", IAPClientPaymentManager.DEFAULT_AUTHENTICATION);
    is not a SUCCESS one, i.e.

Code:
     if (status != IAPClientPaymentManager.SUCCESS) {
            System.out.println("Failure, with status: " + status);
     }
    Can you please print out what status is returned from the call?

Also in order to get a better understanding about your case, can you please specify, if this is a DRM or a non-DRM case? Are you using your own backend server for ticket verification purposes?

hi skalogir! sorry for late reply, and i still need help

when i call the manager.purchaseProduct() function, the SUCCESS status is returned and the nokia account login dialog appears, sometimes during the purchase process a popup appears saying "Operation failed! try again" and all in-app dialogs just disappear , afterwards no callback is given to my app. i think this an issue with the sdk, can you please help!

For example in this screenshot the error occurs while creating a new ovi account during the purchase process

by the way: this is a non - DRM case. and this error occurs even before any purchase is made, and sometimes a successful purchase is made

Your help is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

The callback to the purchaseCompleted method, should happen, in this case, and you should be getting a status code. Can you please print out the code you received from this method?

Code:
    public void purchaseCompleted(int status, String ticket) {
        System.out.println("Status code is:" + status);
    }
    Remember to update your PC's (if you are testing on the SDK) or device's date and time before retrying.

Also, please keep in mind that in the non-DRM case, you would need your own backend server to handle the ticket verification and to provide the purchased service back to the client (device). For more information, please check the purchase flow diagram for non-DRM content.

No sir, the purchaseCompleted() method is never called in this case, i have waited for 10 to 15 mins but in this particular scenario once this message appears, all dialogs just disappear (bringing my app on front) but no callback is given..

The date & time is set, actually the error even occurs before going to any server, for example if I am on create a new ovi account screen now I enter new email address & password than as soon as I hit ok button this message saying "Operation Failed! try again" the create account screen just disappears (bringing my app on front) and no callback is given to purchaseCompleted() method..... Please refer to the image shown below...

I hope i have described the issue well, Your help is greatly appreciated.

Nokia Developer Expert

I am not able to access the picture but I understand that your error is software related rather than In-App Purchase/ Java related.

Please try to update your device software by using Nokia Suite for example. If you can still reproduce the error on the latest available software for your device, in order to further investigate your issue, can you please provide the software version (by typing *#0000# in the idle screen) and the device model you are testing on?

Typically a call back method happens pretty fast (a matter of a few seconds). 10-15 minutes is way too long.

if I am on create a new ovi account screen now I enter new email address & password
    Do you experience the same behavior when you try to create a new ovi account not from within your application but instead from Settings > Nokia account ?
    Last edited by skalogir; 2012-06-25 at 12:59.

Hi,

I have one doubt on nokia In-app FAQs, it is stated that sim card is required in order to support in-app purchases.

So i tested my application on nokia asha 303 without sim card but nokia in-app api does not send any call back for that. So how i support this scenario when there is no sim card in device, my application should not get freezed??

Note : WIFI was active in device than too it does not send any call back.
    Please help