Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Running an application on the basis of sms trigerring.

Dear all,

I am working on an application related to client & server. In this i want to implement the functionality that from server i will receive an SMS and on basis of that if my application is closed it will be invoked & start performing the task.

For this i tried to implement the concept of SMS UTILITIES but i am unable to do the same. I am getting error.

Please help me out of this.

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._Utilities_API

I tried with the example given in the above link but this code is not working properly.

When i am building this code for winscw then i am not getting any error but when i am trying to do this for gcce the error i am getting are.

Silentsms.cpp(.text+0x2) undefined reference to CSMSEngine::NewLC()
    Silentsms.cpp(.text+022e) undefined reference to TSmsAddr::TSmsAddr()
    Silentsms.cpp(.text+022e) undefined reference to TSmsAddr::SetSmsAddrFamily(TSmsAddrFamily)
    Silentsms.cpp(.text+022e) undefined reference to TSmsAddr::Settextmatch(TDesC8 const&)
    Silentsms.cpp(.text+022e) undefined reference to RSmsSocketReadStream::RSmsSocketReadStream(RSocket&)

Please help me out of this. Thanx in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Running an application on the basis of sms trigerring.

Basically you are missing the required library for the APIs. So do check the line which says that its not part of public SDK, and follow up the link to see what to do, and where it is supposed to work in.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    Basically you are missing the required library for the APIs. So do check the line which says that its not part of public SDK, and follow up the link to see what to do, and where it is supposed to work in.
    Yes i checked & smsu.lib is missing. From where i could get it.
    C:\sdk5thedition\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\release\armv5\lib this file is missing in this path.

Quote Originally Posted by akki123 View Post
    C:\sdk5thedition\S60_5th_Edition_SDK_v1.0\epoc32\release\armv5\lib this file is missing in this path.
    You could check the page, basically you would need to download the API pluging and add the stuff from it to your SDK. And then add the library into your project's mmp file as well.

You can download SDK plugins from:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...DK_API_Plug-in

Go to section "S60 5th Edition SDK (Symbian C++)", take the complete package (link just under the subtitle).

Please note that you app will not be automatically started by SMS reception; the user has to start the application and then the application will react to the SMS; maybe you are going to consider Autostart feature (just search this site, wiki in particular, for autostart) so that the app starts when the phone starts... but there are limitations on required capabilities, UIDs and signing/cert.

Hope it helps
    pg

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pavarang View Post
    You can download SDK plugins from:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...DK_API_Plug-in

Go to section "S60 5th Edition SDK (Symbian C++)", take the complete package (link just under the subtitle).

Please note that you app will not be automatically started by SMS reception; the user has to start the application and then the application will react to the SMS; maybe you are going to consider Autostart feature (just search this site, wiki in particular, for autostart) so that the app starts when the phone starts... but there are limitations on required capabilities, UIDs and signing/cert.

Hope it helps
    pg
    Auto start feature is in my APP means the APP will start when Phone is on but i want to add a feature that after getting a specific keyword in the SMS our Application will start.Is it possible if yes then please help. Because for the same i implemented the concept of the "SILENT SMSEXAMPLE" but its not working.
    I will receive this particular SMS from the server in response to the url hit to the server. Its a client - server application.

Nokia Developer Champion

Auto start feature is in my APP means the APP will start when Phone is on but i want to add a feature that after getting a specific keyword in the SMS our Application will start.Is it possible
    That is possible for sure. You can read the sms received in the inbox, search for the keyword & then start your app using RProcess/TApaTask API.

For running the example, did you downloaded as what is suggested in #4.

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    That is possible for sure. You can read the sms received in the inbox, search for the keyword & then start your app using RProcess/TApaTask API.

For running the example, did you downloaded as what is suggested in #4.
    I think you misunderstood what he was asking, basically you should have said that it is Not possible, and instead of starting the App with specific word, you would need to keep it running all times, and use it for monitoring the incoming messages.

Basically only think which would not require running apps, would be to make own messaging types and handling modules for them. For example you could try Bio messaging, though there are no good examples nor good docs for it, so it might be a bit harder to get started.

Nokia Developer Champion

As i understood , it is completely possible to keep on monitoring the incoming sms's(may be through a background exe) & look for a particular keyword in those sms's, if its found then the console exe can launch the main exe/application.

Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    As i understood , it is completely possible to keep on monitoring the incoming sms's(may be through a background exe) & look for a particular keyword in those sms's, if its found then the console exe can launch the main exe/application.
    Yep, but he did not ask for that, as I would read the question: "Auto start feature is in my APP means the APP will start when Phone is on but i want to add a feature that after getting a specific keyword in the SMS our Application will start."

Nokia Developer Champion

but i want to add a feature that after getting a specific keyword in the SMS our Application will start."
    Does that mean that the application has been started already & its in the background & after intercepting the sms(which is integrated in the same exe), the app will come to foreground OR does it mean that sms monitoring will be done in another exe(as i understood).

As the user wrote "our Application will start.", so yes it is not clear that how it is going to be achieved.

Basically only think which would not require running apps, would be to make own messaging types and handling modules for them. For example you could try Bio messaging, though there are no good examples nor good docs for it, so it might be a bit harder to get started.
    I completely forgot about BIO messaging, sorry.
    If you wanna give it a try, here are some starting points:
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...le_for_Symbian
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...an-3rd-Edition
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ging_Protocols
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...essageMgr.html (open this twice to go to the real doc page)

hope it helps,
    regards
    pg

As I remember BIO stuff does not do anything until the user actually opens the message. Also, it requires high capabilities (CTW was a project at Nokia Research Center in Hungary, so it was not an issue that time when http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...an-3rd-Edition was posted).
    What a 3rd party developer can really do is still having an autostarted background code listening for SMS-es, and launching the main application when necessary.