×

Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    588

    How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Hell friends,

    I am developing a symbian app using S60 3rd edition MR sdk. I want this app to be supported on all the symbian devices after S60 3rd MR. Namely
    - S60 3rd Edition FP1 and FP2
    - S60 5th Edition
    - Symbian ^3
    - Symbian Ana
    - Symbian Belle

    Is it possible to create just one application package (sisx) which will work on all the above devices? Is it possible to have just one project in carbide c++ for all these editions of devices or i will have to create different projects for them?
    If not, please let me know for which range/edition of devices i will have to do differently and what.

    Thanks for reading.
    -Raj

  2. #2
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lempäälä/Finland
    Posts
    29,166

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    You could indeed developer the application with 3rd ed MR SDK, and see that it works with all devices. Then of course you could not use any APIs available with later platform versions.

    Anyway, you could of course check whether the device is touch enables and use different code segments if needed.

  3. #3
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    28,684

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Yes, if you want to support every device starting from S60 3rd edition, the S60 3rd MR SDK is a good pick. In theory whatever you develop with it has good chances for running on everything.
    However in this case you can use only the features which were available 6 years ago.
    A mixed development approach could be creating the base application with S60 3rd MR, and use other SDK-s for creating plug-in dll-s (with more recent features). Then you can load the plug-ins with RLibrary in runtime, and use them only if loading succeeds.
    Also note that .sisx file format enables installation depending on OS/device, see http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e_File_Options, so it is also possible to compile your code with several SDK-s and features, package them all and pick the right one in installation time.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    588

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Thanks for quick response guys.

    wizard_hu, you said <QUOTE>Then you can load the plug-ins with RLibrary in runtime, and use them only if loading succeeds.</QUOTE>
    Instead of that, can i say load the plugin if a particular platform UID exists? But plugin integration seems difficult to me. Is there some easy way out?

    I think the touch can be implemented within the MR version itself and based on the edition it can be enabled or disabled.

    Any more pointers?

    -Raj

  5. #5
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lempäälä/Finland
    Posts
    29,166

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Quote Originally Posted by raj8nokiaforum View Post
    Thanks for quick response guys.

    wizard_hu, you said <QUOTE>Then you can load the plug-ins with RLibrary in runtime, and use them only if loading succeeds.</QUOTE>
    Instead of that, can i say load the plugin if a particular platform UID exists? But plugin integration seems difficult to me. Is there some easy way out?

    I think the touch can be implemented within the MR version itself and based on the edition it can be enabled or disabled.

    Any more pointers?

    -Raj
    basically, you would need to use plug-ins only if your code is using some parts which are not compatible. Thus you do not need to worry about them, untill you have identified problem for which you would need to use plug-ins.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    588

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    But i have not seen the platform UIDs in the .pkg file present based on some condition. Is that possible?
    And if i am not wrong, i think that is the only thing i need to change in the application to get it working on all symbian platforms except the API changes for different features.

    Also shall i have to go for different application UIDs for different symbian platforms or single app UID will work on all the platforms?

    Let me know if i am wrong.
    Last edited by raj8nokiaforum; 2012-10-15 at 12:52.

  7. #7
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Noida,India
    Posts
    4,012

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    you can have multiple platform ID's so as to avoid the 'not compatible warning'. You need have the conditional installation based upon the version of platform sis files present in the device.

    An example of such pkg file is :

    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    [0x1028315F], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    [0x20022E6D], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    [0x2003A678], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}


    ;Files to install
    ;You should change the source paths to match that of your environment
    ;<source> <destination>
    IF exists("z:\system\install\Series60v3.1.sis")
    //install files based upon SDK
    ELSEIF exists("z:\system\install\Series60v5.0.sis")
    //install files based upon SDK
    ENDIF

  8. #8
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lempäälä/Finland
    Posts
    29,166

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Quote Originally Posted by raj8nokiaforum View Post
    And if i am not wrong, i think that is the only thing i need to change in the application to get it working on all symbian platforms except the API changes for different features.
    .
    That would be the theory, in practice, you would need to test with loads of different devices to see how the app is behaving in them, and then adapt the functionality if needed.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    588

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Quote Originally Posted by vineet.jain View Post
    you can have multiple platform ID's so as to avoid the 'not compatible warning'. You need have the conditional installation based upon the version of platform sis files present in the device.

    An example of such pkg file is :

    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    [0x1028315F], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    [0x20022E6D], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}
    [0x2003A678], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}


    ;Files to install
    ;You should change the source paths to match that of your environment
    ;<source> <destination>
    IF exists("z:\system\install\Series60v3.1.sis")
    //install files based upon SDK
    ELSEIF exists("z:\system\install\Series60v5.0.sis")
    //install files based upon SDK
    ENDIF
    Are you talking about the following:
    - create sis file for each symbian platform using platform UID
    - then in the pkg file embed all the sis files just like the way you have mentioned above
    - create one master sis file and install that one on the device

    am i correct in saying that?

  10. #10
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lempäälä/Finland
    Posts
    29,166

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Quote Originally Posted by raj8nokiaforum View Post
    Are you talking about the following:
    - create sis file for each symbian platform using platform UID
    - then in the pkg file embed all the sis files just like the way you have mentioned above
    - create one master sis file and install that one on the device

    am i correct in saying that?
    Basically you could simply add the platform-UIDs lines in the top of the pkg, so suppress the warnings in the device when installing the sis file.

    Then depending on your needs, you could wither use same executable and files for all devices.

    or if needed/wanted you could also additionally use the if-else-clauses to have different executables/files installed into different platforms/devices.

  11. #11
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    28,684

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Quote Originally Posted by raj8nokiaforum View Post
    But i have not seen the platform UIDs in the .pkg file present based on some condition. Is that possible?
    You have not seen such thing because you have not managed to open that link in #3. But here is your second chance, it will even jump to the sections you need: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...specific_Files

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    588

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Thanks for the help and one small issue.

    I have just created a project using s60 3rd MR sdk. When i built it, i got the following error on compiling the projec:

    This project does not support program "BUILD_HELP" for platform "WINSCW"
    I checked around and found that perl version might not be correct but it is correct. Perl version installed is 5.6.1 build 635.

    Any pointers what might be wrong?

    Thanks,
    -Raj

  13. #13
    Nokia Developer Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Noida,India
    Posts
    4,012

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    paste the bld.inf file here.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    588

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    Here is the file:

    /*
    ============================================================================
    Name : bld.inf
    Author :
    Copyright : Your copyright notice
    Description : This file provides the information required for building the
    whole of a Hell.
    ============================================================================
    */

    PRJ_PLATFORMS
    WINSCW ARMV5 GCCE


    #ifdef SBSV2

    PRJ_EXTENSIONS

    START EXTENSION s60/mifconv
    OPTION TARGETFILE hell_0xe919c491.mif
    OPTION HEADERFILE hell_0xe919c491.mbg
    OPTION SOURCEDIR ../gfx
    OPTION SOURCES -c32 qgn_menu_Hell
    END

    // help compiler is not always available; see similar comment in *.pkg file
    START EXTENSION techview/bldhelp
    OPTION HELPPROJECTFILE Hell.cshlp
    OPTION HELPTOOLTARGETNAME hell_0xe919c491.hlp
    END

    #else

    PRJ_MMPFILES

    gnumakefile icons_scalable_dc.mk

    // help compiler is not always available; see similar comment in *.pkg file
    gnumakefile ../help/build_help.mk

    #endif

    PRJ_MMPFILES

    Hell.mmp

  15. #15
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Lempäälä/Finland
    Posts
    29,166

    Re: How to port a S60 3rd Edition MR app to latest symbian devices??

    You could simply remove lines:


    PRJ_PLATFORMS
    WINSCW ARMV5 GCCE


    Then it would be using all available targets, instead of the defined set

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2012-09-05, 06:15
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2011-07-14, 09:59
  3. Error opening port in Symbian S60 3rd edition FP1
    By gaurav.gupta in forum Symbian
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2009-04-09, 05:42
  4. Listen SMS at port for Symbian 2n edition.
    By kamaljaiswal in forum Symbian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-12-05, 08:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×