Discussion Board

Create alarm without calendar entry, is it possible?

Hi,
    I want to create some alarms on the phone without an entry on the calendar. It should only inform and alarm the user that something should be made.

Like "take pills".

I need to set a different alarm for each day, once at 09:00, once at 22:00, etc. And set 30-60 different alarms once the application is closed, so the user doesn't need to reopen the application.

My problem is that I don't want see it in the agenda. It is not nice to see "next 3 events: take pills on friday, take pills on sathurday, take pills on sunday".

Is there a way to set different alarms on Symbian?
    Or a way to set an event with alarm, without see it on the agenda?

Thanks!
    Adriano
    I discovered Qt in the summer 2010, it was sooo easy and nice to use, that I begun to write some apps.
    Thank you Nokia, for giving me this possibility!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Create alarm without calendar entry, is it possible?

at least with Symbian C++ there is nice API available: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ymbian_C%2B%2B

Super Contributor

You could roll your own service process that works off a schedule (timers) in the background (has to be autostarted) and with a separate UI app to set the alarms through the service process.

Of course, if the service process fails, you might need a separate watchdog process for them to watch each other as the system doesn't provide anything for you in this respect. However, if the autostart fails for both of them for some reason, then there's nothing to help you (except if you make the service process contact a remote server at regular intervals, and if the server stops hearing from the client, it will, e.g., notify the user via SMS).

On the other hand, you could have a server do the scheduling and use BIO messaging to notify a client app, but there're complications in that, too.

In other words, no perfect solutions, if you have to work around system limitations with trickery, I'm aftaid.

Thank you Yucca,
    I will try to add the code in my Qt project. Hope I can set an alarm that should ring after 2 months

Thank you Petrib for your reply!
    If possible, I don't want create services. It is too late now to learn something like that for Symbian if I never made it before, hehehe
    The notify server could be a good solution if you are connected to the web, but I can't be sure that the alarm will be executed.

I am working on a calendar for people who works on different shifts. On each shift I want to insert an alarm. For example:
    monday, working time: 08:00-16:00 - INSERT alarm at 07:00
    tuesday, working time: 22:00 - 07:00 - INSERT alarm at 21:30

There are 2 solutions:
    - create a new agenda, where I can insert the working time as event directly on it and set an alarm for this event.
    - create many alarms, one for each day.

I would like implement the second (trying using the code from Yucca), so that the user doesn't see an event for each day only for an alarm.

I think Symbian is the best OS on the world for phones. It can power on a phone to execute the alarm (I think there is no other OS that can do it). Unfortunately this function wasn't expanded for more functionality, APIs and programmers
    I discovered Qt in the summer 2010, it was sooo easy and nice to use, that I begun to write some apps.

I implemented the code from Yucca, and it works really good.

The phone must be powered on, but it was exactly what I was searching for.

Is there a possibility to find which alarm was set from my app?
    - After I set an alarm, I can add some clientdata (app UID).
    - After the alarm was expired, I want to delete it, but the alarmdata is set to 0.
    - Now I delete all alarms in the past from the queue and if it wasn't set from my app, I get an error code. It is not bad, but not the best solution I think... Maybe one day or on some phones this method could delete also alarms set from other apps?
    - getOwner doesn't give me a number, it returns always 0. Maybe because it is deprecated.

Thank you for the help. I can give to the users a fantastic app now