Discussion Board

Question How to assign different icons to different divices in one application?

Hello,,
    I have submitted my application to ovi store, but i am facing a problem which caused the failure on some devices.
    The reason of the failure on some devices is because the icon is not displayed properly on these devices(N70 and 6681)
    after searching i have found that the icon should have the size of 29*29 on N70 and 24*24 for 6681 , and the default icon for all other device is 43*43

So is there a way to have a common icon for all device types?? since the 24*24 will look too bad on N8 for example
    or if not, then is there a way to know the device type in .jad file to assign the appropriate icon to the application on installation???

Thank you for any help
    Rondo

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to assign different icons to different divices in one application?

Well, it is a bit painful, but specifically for the case of Nokia Store a possible workaround could be providing separate variants of your application for the different device groups, and having different icons for them.
    (I managed to dig out http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...Dlet_icon_size from the Wiki, but it - and the other resources it links to - do not seem to help much).

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to assign different icons to different divices in one application?

Quote Originally Posted by Rondoo23 View Post
    Hello,,
    I have submitted my application to ovi store, but i am facing a problem which caused the failure on some devices.
    The reason of the failure on some devices is because the icon is not displayed properly on these devices(N70 and 6681)
    after searching i have found that the icon should have the size of 29*29 on N70 and 24*24 for 6681 , and the default icon for all other device is 43*43

So is there a way to have a common icon for all device types?? since the 24*24 will look too bad on N8 for example
    or if not, then is there a way to know the device type in .jad file to assign the appropriate icon to the application on installation???

Thank you for any help
    Rondo
    In J2me it is very difficult to support large no. of devices with single JAD/JAR or build, hence generally most of J2me apps/games.... have large number of builds(JAD/JAR) specific to different devices on the app store. In some cases for games I have seen even 100+ builds...
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps