Discussion Board

Exclamation Please improve S40 Asha OS

Hi!

I would like to list down some things that S40 Asha lacks:

- No Document Reader
    - Low RAM
    - No Flash Lite
    - No Copy and Paste

Please improve the new OS in the next software update (if there's any).
    Thanks!
    Last edited by lumasha; 2012-11-01 at 05:01.

Super Contributor

Re: Please improve S40 Asha OS

Low RAM = hardware related, and not something "lacking" in Series 40, and not something a next software update can address (unless it can simultaneously add fixes and features while simultaneously shrink dramatically freeing up more memory that the earlier version consumed).

Flash Lite = Adobe has stopped Flash Lite development, so Nokia is not going to include it on new phones, I suspect.

The best place to discuss feature requirements are the Nokia product discussion boards, which are linked from here.

Lightbulb Nokia Asha 311

The Asha 311 needs the following. Can you add these (if not all, some of it) to the device?

-Task manager
    -HD video playback
    -A homescreen like in Nokia Belle
    -Landscape mode notification bar
    -A complete notification bar like in Nokia Belle

This is just a suggestion. The Asha 311 is the flagship of the Asha family, so it should possess nice specs.

Thanks!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Nokia Asha 311

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ser-s-problems was the suggestion in your other thread. If you had checked that, I believe this post of yours also comes in that catagory. Hope that helps

The threads are merged now. Phone/device features are discussed on http://discussions.nokia.com

The Asha 311 needs the following. Can you add these (if not all, some of it) to the device through the next firmware update?

-Task manager like in Belle (so there won't be any need to close an app to go to another)
    -HD video playback (720p)
    -Landscape mode notification bar (when the phone is in landscape mode, the notification bar can't be accessed)

This is just a suggestion. The Asha 311 is the flagship of the Asha family and a smartphone, so it should possess nice specs like the ones above.

Thanks!

Hello again lumasha,

Please review the responses above before posting fresh suggestions. You would save a lot of your time

Good Luck!!

My concern here is the Asha 311. The UI is MeeGo-based, right? Then can you add a task manager like the one in N9 where a swipe away will take you to your running applications. Maybe you can replace the Dialler/Music/Radio homescreen with the task manager of MeeGo. Then, swiping between homescreens is enabled for multitasking. I chose 311 because it has higher RAM (128 MB) than the other Ashas. Please add multitasking.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lumasha View Post
    My concern here is the Asha 311. The UI is MeeGo-based, right? Then can you add a task manager like the one in N9 where a swipe away will take you to your running applications. Maybe you can replace the Dialler/Music/Radio homescreen with the task manager of MeeGo. Then, swiping between homescreens is enabled for multitasking. I chose 311 because it has higher RAM (128 MB) than the other Ashas. Please add multitasking.

Thanks!
    As stated above this is not the right forum to post what you wish to have in a device. Also please don't compare it with high end phones like N9. Asha series is targeted to a different audience.

While Nokia maintains a similar visual style across its devices (except for the Windows Phone ones), Asha devices have absolutely nothing to do with Meego and the N9. A task manager is not really related to the UI anyway. First of all it requires the OS to handle multiple user tasks at the same time. I am not sure if it happens on Series 40 (but I have to admit I have no experience with Asha devices). If there are no multiple tasks, there is nothing to switch between.