Discussion Board

Thread: hotspot

hotspot

Hello guys
    I want to create a bluetooth hotspot application that would tether internet form my pc via bluetooth.

I want my j2me code to take the html file and display it.
    How can i make the mobile browser to display this pages using the j2me app(s60 so i can run my app in background) and subsequent hyperlinks.

In short how to create a proxy server that will use enable the phone to tether the internet.

Thanx in advance

Super Contributor

Re: hotspot

Simplest approach to view HTML pages from J2ME is to just use platformRequest() to launch the browser. Not very good for controlling what happens then, or integrating the functionality with your app, though.

There is no complete/perfect HTML viewer component for J2ME. There's some sort of a web view in LWUIT. Otherwise, you'd need to write your own HTML/CSS/JavaScript parser, and compiler (for JavaScript) and renderer. J2ME limitations also makes this difficult (memory, performance, file system access restrictions, etc.). You could also leave a lot of the processing to a server-side component such as, e.g., what Opera Mini does, but it is no simple task even done that way.

You can also search for existing discussions with similar or other responses, as this kind of question pops up a few times a year here.

thanx....there is an application named GNU BOX that enables you to tether internet from pc to mobile via bluetooth
    do you any idea how it displays web pages and handles hyperlinks.......
    does j2me has proxy server to be used over bluetooth so that my mobile access point be changed to access from that proxy over bluetooth
    thanx in advance

Nokia Developer Moderator

IP-over-BT stuff, like Gnubox adds a new, full-featured network connection. So it can be used for anything, including usage of the browser.
    Java ME is Java ME, it has no built-in servers, proxies, etc. You can find the Java ME version and extra API-s available on devices on their specification pages (Devices above, Device specifications).
    Bluetooth access is usually available, but that will be communication for your Midlet, not for the entire device. So invoking an external browser will not be a straightforward option in this case (though you can experiment with local IP sockets). The Opera Mini-like approach would be having a browser-like entity on the PC, forwarding easy-to-render things (even plain images) via BT to your own client (Midlet).

Does this help?

Internally, Nokia has this feature for testing. Unfortunately, they do not ship it in the final devices. Therefore, it is easier to buy a Nokia Series 40 with WLAN, unfortunately. Actually, the firmware-update procedure still works via Bluetooth this way. I am afraid, will never understand Nokia and the way they think.
    Last edited by traud; 2013-02-03 at 15:38.