Discussion Board

Places API Serversided

HI,

I'm looking for a posibility to Geocode searche without using Clientsided Javascript.

Is there a java Based lib i can use?

I somehow coun't find anything about it.

Thx
    Leo Boulanger

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Places API Serversided

for Nokia places, there is REST API, though not certain if you were asking about it. Anyway if it is not fitting your requirements, then can you please give more details on what you are looking for.

With the Maps API using Javascript, it's possible to geocode a adress into a location(lan,lng). after having done this, my Teamleader told me that the code should be in Java(serverbased) for securety issues.
    so now i'm looking for a way to unse your service, for a serverbases localisation. As i figured out it should work with the REST API, but i can't find any link to the library or a Tutorial for using this one.

thx for the fast response.

Nokia Developer Expert

I don't think we have any Rest based service, also you should check any term & conditions for usage in other than the designed way on any API you choose to use. Anyway, if you are using Maps API to show maps, I can not see teh reasoning why some parts of the fucntionality should not be used with it, nor that how would the REST service increase any security from users perspective.

We are looking for a way to calculate distances between 2 Points for deliverypricing. Due to that and since we prefer checking that distance on server side instaed of clientside, weare looking for a Javabased Way of finding a Point to a given Adress. Further on we are not using any Maps.

I also already got in Contakt with Sales for the Licencing.

Nokia Developer Expert

I think we generally don't have any suitable API, then again ´there could be internal one, so you could check that with the contact you got already. I would not be too hopefull on finding any sutable ways on using the service RESTful way.

anyway, have you checked yahoo & google, I suppose they might have APIs which you could use for the use case.

i did and yahoo refered to nokia saying, they will stop their service and google is way more expensive per request.

Nokia Developer Expert

I think then you would just need to pay for the service. As said I dont know any API from us that would be readily available & usable for your use case.