Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Smile Silent SMS or Overriding Built-in Message Alert

I have developed an app in j2me, which use to send SMS (a number of SMS) for a process and for each SMS as you know it shows "Sending Text Message" & "Text Message Sent" alerts on the screen. What I want to know is that is there any way to send these messages Silently so that there is no notification at all or somehow if it's possible that I could override those built-in alerts of mobile? Because if I use my alert, mobile puts that behind it's own alerts and then shows my alert later one when processed with it's own (kind of rude act, hunh). I am using WTK 2.0 for CLDC 1.0 and MIDP 2.0. I would be grateful to you if you provide me a final answer. Thanks

Re: Silent SMS or Overriding Built-in Message Alert

See http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...S_with_Java_ME

THere are linked articles that explain how to listen for messages etc. Note that an app has to be listening for the message or it will still be received by the inbox.

This is the extent of my knowledge on this topic.

thank you so much for taking interest in replying, but if you read the post again I am talking about Sending SMS not receiving. The issue I have are with built in alerts or as alternate to no alert at all while sending messages. I read somewhere about the little hack in SDK but I am unable to do that and that was for specific range of sets while using Nokia SDK, and I am doing it in WTK. I hope you got what I tried to say before. Thanks anyway!

You're welcome. Why do you want to hide the alerts - certainly the user might want to know if they are being billed by SMS.

In any case, as I understand it if you won't get "message sent" prompts if you send to a specific port as discussed in that message. I could be wrong, but the easiest way to verify that is to try it! If it doesn't work, then I have no other information on this topic.

Well, sending message to the port was my second priority and idea, but it didn't solve the problem too. The reason I don't want to show alerts to user is that in my app a number of messages are to be sent to perform a certain task and on each message it shows that annoying alert of "sending text message" & then "text message sent". If somehow I could silently send message then I would be able to show my own alert instead of those built-in, thats all the reason. But still forwarding message to a specific port didn't help. thanks for your reply

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. On Symbian you can do this using Symbian C++.