Discussion Board

Solutions for getting OpenGL ES 2 on WP8?

Without having done much research, I wonder if somebody could clue me in:

As far as I understand, WP8 will support native C++ development (i.e. C++ that gets compiled down to native code, and does not run on top of the CLR or whatever the "managed" runtime on WP is called).

Also, as far as I understand, WP8 only supports Direct X Mobile and no OpenGL ES - is that true?

Targetting C++ and OpenGL ES 2 makes games portable across a wide variety of platforms (*all* platforms except WP - OpenGL ES is supported by Symbian, Maemo, MeeGo, Android, iOS, Blackberry 10 - and probably some I don't even know about). Of course, one could re-write the rendering parts to target both Direct X Mobile and OpenGL ES 2, but at this point (especially since *ever other vendor* supports OpenGL ES), I'd rather not support Direct X Mobile specifically.

Is there something like ANGLE that provides an OpenGL ES 2.0 API on top of WP8? Or does WP8 support OpenGL ES 2.0 out of the box?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Solutions for getting OpenGL ES 2 on WP8?

I've been looking at Monogame as an alternative to XNA and it seems that they support OpenGL
    http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/...lay-Everywhere

My hope is that it will be adapted for Windows Phone 8. I was starting to learn XNA when I got the news that Microsoft had discontinued it for now on Windows Phone 8. But then again this is not for native games. Are more of a Opensource implementation for XNA to run cross-platform.

Check it once more. Monogame seems to be exactly the opposite to what you think of it. It is about porting XNA stuff to other platforms.

EDIT: I was writing fast. Now I understand you have written that if Monogame gets released for WP8, XNA codebase could run everywhere, regardless of its deprecation. However it still will not bring Open GL to Windows Phone, that part of your post "triggered" me.
    Last edited by wizard_hu_; 2012-11-12 at 11:35.

Its My hope they manage to get it on wp8. Personally I think that both Nokia and Microsoft will need to move fast to get more game developers onto the platform and OpenGL would give it a nice boost.

Super Contributor

Marmalade's next release (v6.2) will support OpenGL ES 2.0 on/for WP8. No beta yet.

http://www.madewithmarmalade.com/win...dows8-announce

Microsoft does not support OpenGL on their own (and never will), just DirectX/Direct3D/Direct2D.