Discussion Board

Thread: taxeeta app

taxeeta app

I am a seasoned Android and Core Java developer, and new to Nokia app development. I need to develop a app with the following features. I need to know if Series 40 SDK is appropriate for this kinda app.

1) Make a JSON request and send registration details of the user
    2) Get Current location's GPS
    3) Make a JSON and communicate current location
    4) Make a JSON request to send "I am Available", "I am Busy" status
    5) Poll every 10 mins, and send a JSON request to receive latest messages
    6) Display the messages in a list

I need this application to be running at all times on the phone. Background service.
    Should pop up a notification on the top notification bar (like the battery status), that new messages have arrived
    Should pop up a UI if the user wants to see the new messages.
    I need this application to run on cheap phones.

Thanks in advance
    Siddharth

Re: taxeeta app

No background service on Series 40 webapps.

regards
    Karsten Meier

So will http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e_installation SDK give me access to background service ?

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by taxeeta View Post
    So will http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...e_installation SDK give me access to background service ?
    No. Not possible with J2ME, either, on Series 40 (at least not through published/available APIs and without Nokia sigining the MIDlet with Nokia manufacturer certs, which Nokia won't do).

If you need an application architecture where an app must operate also in the background, then you need to target some entirely different platform than Nokia Series 40 based phones.

How about Symbian C++ ? Will this app run on all nokia phones ?

I am very new to Nokia development. But I also I need help to understand how this "can" be accomplished, I request that you help me understand solutions aswell. All I am hearing is what I cannot do. I say this with utmost humility.

Nokia Developer Moderator

How about Symbian C++ ? Will this app run on all nokia phones?
    It is possible to do with Symbian C++, there you can have background services, you can even start them automatically when the phone boots. Accessing GPS and data services is not a problem either.
    Such application will work on Symbian devices only, so S60 (the "recent" ones, S60 3rd and S60 5th edition), Symbian^3, Symbian Anna, Nokia Belle. You can search for devices using the various platforms on the specifications page (Devices above, Device specifications).
    The problem is that the Nokia 808 Pureview is probably the last Symbian device ever. When you open the specifications page, you will see that there are no Symbian devices on the first page. The 808 appears on the second page, and it was announced 13 months (minus 1 day) ago.

Hello Siddharth,

sorry to be so negative.
    Your original idea looks to me like it is not possible with Nokia low costs phones.
    It is quite normal that low cost things can do less than high cost things. Perhaps you can create some simpler service for such simpler phones.
    Java JME, the programming language for such phones, has also a very strict security model, it has all kind of restrictions to protect the user from the bad things we programmer can do with their phones. For many interesting things the user need to confirm each action.

What you can do:
    Put the app on the home screen, so that user can activate it fast.
    Most series 40 phones have no GPS. But you can get rough location data from the position of the mobile network, maybe this is enough for you.

One thing that may be possible is not activate the app when a special SMS is send (needs to be send to special port). But there will still be user-interaction needed. So the thing is quite complex and may not help much.

Regards

Karsten Meier

Thankyou very much. I am really happy that I am getting relevant advice.

So let me scope down the requirement.
    1) Click the app icon, it launch's reads the current GPS location
    2) Calls a JSON request to send GPS location to my server
    3) Exits
    No background service, no timer based calls, no user interface.

I now understand the Symbian is not the correct choice since about 13 months back no new phones have come in.

I now also understand that Series 40 is a different platform than Symbian, and its the latest in the "non windows nokia".

I now understand that a pure J2ME may not give me "current GPS" location. Is this assumption correct ?

I have ruled out windows phone's since my target audience cant/wont afford a windows phone. And when/if they being to afford I am sure windows phone can do all that I need (in future).

So I have 2 options
    1) J2ME application that can get current GPS and run on almost all nokia phones
    2) Series 40 application
    3) I wont read GPS from GPS provider, but from the network provider. So I dont need GPS on the phone, but I need a internet connection (which almost any phone will have)

Also note, all these customers (are kinda employed with me) will install the application out of the job description that they have with me.

Is my understanding accurate.

Hello Siddharth ,

I think you should use java, because it starts much faster,
    (and may also work on some phones from other providers.)

There are nokia java forums here where there are more people to help you.

The user interface will show dialog boxes and ask if
    1) getting position is allowed
    2) sending data is allowed
    This dialogs are called by the system, pure mortals like us can not get rid of them.
    At last you will probably show a dialog that send was successful (or got an error)

> I now understand that a pure J2ME may not give me "current GPS" location. Is this assumption correct ?

GPS is "Global Positiong System" and works with receiving satellite-signals.
    When the phone has no gps receiver, you can not read gps-position.
    But you may get a rough position from the network.
    There is an addition to pure J2ME which is called "JSR 179 Location API for J2ME™ 1.0"
    Many phones, even some cheap ones, implement it.

Regards

Karsten Meier

Karsten,

Agree with all that you have recommended. But I am ok with the GPS from the network provider. Accuracy is not as important as locating approximate GPS is.

SIddharth

Nokia Developer Moderator

But I am ok with the GPS from the network provider. Accuracy is not as important as locating approximate GPS is.
    Just to add, you would also get the accuracy value along with the geocordinates, so that you can write alternative logic if the accuracy is not that high.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com