Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Champion

Difference executing javascript in web apps and web pages

How S40 distributed browser executes javascript in normal web pages and in web apps?

This is specifically about how jquery mobile works differently in web pages in in web apps.

If this example template below is opened in S40 web browser jquery mobile styles are applied as expected.
    http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.2.1/...-template.html
    http://tinyurl.com/bwuz5f8 (short link)

If this same exact page is packaged as a web app, jquery mobile styling doesn't work at all.
    http://goo.gl/mc1Y8?type=webapp (link to web app)

Jquery mobile styles are applied on page load when jqm javascript code adds css styles to DOM. Because this works differently in web page and in web app, I am assuming that javascript is handled differently between these two cases. Am I right or is there something else behind this?

Re: Difference executing javascript in web apps and web pages

Unfortunately, the S40 Browser provides stripped down Javascript support. A list of unsupported Javascript events (many of which that JQuery relies upon) is listed in the API reference guide, see page 11 - http://tools.nokia.com/wt/doc/jsdt/s..._Reference.pdf

There seems to be a few examples on the Wiki that use unsupported JQuery. These seem to be creating a lot of ambiguity, so perhaps we need to look at removing them? If I get time myself, perhaps I can knock together a Wiki article that shows which components are supported in the Nokia Browser and which components aren't supported.

Nokia Developer Champion

Problem, or the question, isn't what is supported, but why browser works differently in browser mode and web app mode. As I understand web pages and web apps are handled essentially the same way.

Jquery and Jquery Mobile seems to work just fine in normal web pages. Of course there's some limitations for javascript execution time, for example long polling or any other long lasting operations wouldn't work. For web apps jqm seems to be no-go, and I am wondering why.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mikkovtr View Post
    Problem, or the question, isn't what is supported, but why browser works differently in browser mode and web app mode. As I understand web pages and web apps are handled essentially the same way.

Jquery and Jquery Mobile seems to work just fine in normal web pages. Of course there's some limitations for javascript execution time, for example long polling or any other long lasting operations wouldn't work. For web apps jqm seems to be no-go, and I am wondering why.
    Hi,

Actually Browser uses different back-end for browsing and for Web Apps.
    Web Apps back-end is tailored for Web App usage.

That causes the differences you see in jQuery support etc..

Br,
    Ilkka

Nokia Developer Champion

OK, that explains a lot thank you.

Now there is of course a question why web app backend seems to be worse, at least in this perspective..